Painting subfloor

teapot100December 24, 2010

Call us crazy, but we closed on our house yesterday and need to be out of our rental by the end of this month. We need to pull up the carpets in our new house because one of my kids has a dust mite allergy and the entire house has wall-to-wall carpet. Right now we are just focusing on the main floor where the living room and bedrooms are.

We checked the living room and dining area and thankfully there is hardwood flooring under there, but it ends where the hallway to the bedrooms and bathroom starts. There is only particle board subfloor in that part of the house under the carpet.

We have 1 week to paint and move - we are looking at painting the walls and subfloor right now, covering with area rugs where possible. What is the quickest and most budget-friendly way to do this? Is it even doable in the time we have (Christmas is tomorrow!)? We eventually plan on putting hardwood in that part of the house, but it's just not in the budget right now.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slimtidy

We are thinking of doing the exact same thing due to a "budget issue" lol. We are painting some pine planks though. I will probably use an oil based epoxy paint. You can roll it on with a roller so it should go very quickly. Just have to make sure you don't paint yourself into a corner, hahah.

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 9:06PM
lazy_gardens

There is very durable acrylic paint made for porches and floors. Paint it with that.

Do the floor in the evening before you leave - paint your self out - and when you come back the next morning is should be dry. Then you can do the walls.

Bookmark   December 24, 2010 at 11:09PM
teapot100

Thank you! We are looking to paint with zero VOC paint due to the fact that it's the middle of winter and my youngest has allergies/asthma. Can you paint on the particle board itself or do you have to do something special to it?

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 8:17AM
paintguy22

I also think acrylic is the way to go. You should clean the floors first. Paint will always stick best to a clean and dull surface and this is especially important for an area that people walk on. High quality paints and low VOC paints are going to cost more.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Has anyone used ProMar 200 by Sherwin Williams?
I painted my bathroom 6 months ago with ProMar 200...
jazzygardener
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Sponsored Products
Where is the Sound Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$285.00 | Horchow
A19 Lighting | Delos Pendant Light
$149.99 | YLighting
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Painting Time Multi Colored 19
$11.97 | Home Depot
Katsushika Hokusai 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' Gallery Wrapped Canvas
Overstock.com
Gold Stripe Paper Drum Lamp Shade 10x13x10 (Spider)
$36.99 | Lamps Plus
White Painting Finish Wooden Candle Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
White Outdoor Ceiling 1-Light
PLFixtures
PolyWood® Square Dining Table
Home Decorators Collection
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™