sw resilience vs. bm regal..mix and match

sarasotasteveDecember 15, 2011

I am painting the exterior of my home, and I will need 20 gallons of paint plus the primer.

I was planning to go with SW Resilience, but the color nazi's in my community would approve only our color choice that is in the BM booklet.

So I have 2 possibilities...go with the BM Regal and use the colors, or take the colors and have the SW store do a match in the Resilience.

The match does not have to be 100%, but I have read that due to the different bases and other ingredients that go into the paint , it is possible for the matched colors to "bleed out" and not hold up as well as if they were in the original paint formula. Is this true?

Does the BM Regal give me as good a coverage job, and hold up as well as the SW Resilience?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

The matched color will not bleed out.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 9:28PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

The matched color will not bleed out.

True

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 6:10AM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Not true. Doesn't even make proper sense. So, you have a BenM color matched using SW product. If indeed this "bleed out" business were true then that would mean all the Sherwin Williams original colors that are similar in colorant content/formula to the Ben Moore custom match would not hold up and "bleed out" too. Again if true, 99% of us would be living with faded out, washed out exteriors. And that isn't the case.

I can agree that exterior colors in various brand's palettes have been tested for color fastness, weathering, and what not and thus designated appropriate for exterior. And when you have a custom color made for exterior you don't have that extra undercurrent of color science built in. You're kind of at the mercy of the paint store to use the right combo of colorants that can go exterior -- should be a no brainer tho because you can't *just* shoot interior exclusive tints into exterior base. Slight loophole for an argument to not cross brands, not a big one tho IMO especially if flexible on the color match.

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 2:09AM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Not ALL pros use SW,I use BM products 90% of the time.

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 4:03AM
paintguy1

The potential issue, though small, is that competitive matches may use organic pigments to hit a color simply because the computer says to. It is these organic colorants that have the potential to fade out prematurely thus causing a shift in color, not "bleed out", whatever that means. Best bet is to use BM Regal Select - it's a better bucket of paint and you have no worries about color issues. As an aside, SW's Resilience was developed specifically for instances where rain was imminent - in other words, for painters that don't want to lose time simply because it will rain in an hour. It's certainly a decent bucket of paint, but it's no Duration (which is about equal to BM Regal).

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
caroline94535
Exterior paint color help
Can you please suggest some paint colors for this house...
r2d2indy
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Help pick paint colors for exterior 1902 victorian
We have a 1902 victorian in a small town in Iowa. Unfortunately,...
Jennifer Weinman
Sponsored Products
Gus Modern | Conrad Desk
YLiving.com
Fall Jewel Ribbon by Katherine's Collection
Grandin Road
Cathy's Concepts Cheers Shooters - Set of 4 - CH-1166
$29.80 | Hayneedle
Tom Dixon | Air Scented Candle - Large
$200.00 | YLighting
Domi Chrome One-Light Halogen Wall Sconce with Solare Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor