Will BM Advance yellow?

brickhouseDecember 5, 2010

Buying my cabinet paint tomorrow. For the dark color (BM Midsummer Night) I plan to use BM Advance, because of the super long dry times I had with my dark sample boards using the Ace paint. For the White (BM Simply white) I will either use Ace Cabinet paint or the BM Advance.

Couldn't get a straight answer from paint store if the white Advance will yellow. According to the paint store it is not a true hybrid so I am guessing it will yellow. Any input?

I wonder about sheen differences if I use two different brands, hmmm.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy1

Yes it will though not nearly as much as a conventional alkyd. If a conventional alkyd yellowing were rated a 10 (worst) and a latex a 2 (it will yellow slightly), Advance would be a 4. Lack of exposure to light and exposure to ammonia will speed yellowing.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 8:24AM
Faron79

Obviously, the dark color yellowing is irrelevant...since it's dark!

Yes, "normal" hybrids, like ACE's, because there's SOME Alkyd-resins components, will yellow very slightly over time. But, as PG says, nothing like a straight Oil would!

When I show customers my sample-boards with the ACE Cab/door/trim paint (including some dark colors), they like it! I make sure they understand long curing/hardening times though...it's just the way it is with dark colors. Higher colorant loads prolong dry/cure times, especially when the paint has Alkyd components.

Faron

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 9:41AM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

I make sure they understand long curing/hardening times though...it's just the way it is with dark colors. Higher colorant loads prolong dry/cure times, especially when the paint has Alkyd components.

Most excellent piece of info to take note of. . .

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 11:04AM
brickhouse

Thank you for your replies.
Not sure which brand I will choose for the white, but it is great to have the info I need now!

As for the dark color, I posted a while back about the long dry time with my super dark ACE paint. If I went with the Advance instead, would/should it cure faster or slower.
Confused now...
Situation is: painting cabinet boxes in place in a house with 2 kids ;) Time is of the essence, but a durable hard finish is also important. Hmmm.
Another bit of info is we are in the high desert, very dry/low humidity and cold outside temps.
Any advice on which product would work better?

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 12:13PM
paintguy1

You might be over-thinking this one a bit but to answer your question, full cure for both takes about a week or two. Dry to touch happens much quicker with a latex (30 minutes versus a few hours) but even the best latexes do not get as hard as an alkyd. If you are worried about yellowing in the white, just go latex all around - BM/Inslx makes several excellent satin/semi-gloss paints that will perform great on cabinets. The key is good surface prep to ensure the latex has a clean, well prepped surface that it can bite onto.

Bookmark   December 7, 2010 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Paint color choice is holding up the job, would appreciate your help
I know a lot of people ask for paint help, here's one...
peggie123
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™