Paint Color Conundrum

retiredprofDecember 11, 2010

Need some thoughts and advice about a paint "theme" appropriate for a very small (800 SF) cottage I moved into just a few months ago. I'm really being challenged here with a house style that's new to me.

This cottage was built in the 40's and totally rehabbed in keeping with the original architectural details and paint scheme: original oak floors and doors throughout, oak woodwork everywhere (baseboards, the windows, the trim). Very Williamsburg. All walls and ceiling white. My previous homes have all had the opposite paint approach: deeper colored walls and white woodwork.

The floor plan is like a railroad flat: enter directly into the kitchen/DR with a view of the very long hallway that connects the rooms. There are very few and very small windows.

Because of the "wood attack" and in trying to keep with the cottage style (whites and pastels), I've made a first pass at painting all the rooms and the hallway in BM Dove White eggshell. It looks good in contrast with the dark wood and seems like a good choice when natural light is minimal.

Anyway... in some flashback to the past, I got the idea that the large kitchen/DR combo needed some color: BM Affinity Citrine (deep gold) for the walls and Salsa Dancing (cinnabar) for behind the counter.

Now, of course, I'm having second thoughts. While I like the deep colors, they somehow seem inappropriate for this space and this house. Also, I'm concerned about having this one room "pop" while the rest of the house is so white, especially since you see the hallway from this room. Seems like too much of a counterpoint.

I'm thinking maybe a compromise would be something like BM's American Heartland or Windham Cream--some color, but not such a bold contrast.

Has anybody encountered a situation like this? How did you balance maintaining the historical integrity with your color choices? Should it matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It doesn't matter. Paint for the life YOU want to live. More color would probably make it look cozier.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 4:48PM
retiredprof

I finally got pics of the place loaded into Picasa so thought I would share a few with you to get a better idea of my issue. These are from the day I actually saw the cottage for the first time (and signed the agreement!). Disregard the furnishings of the PO.

The outside:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jKm1gHJaL48NY0pqtQ_Paw?feat=directlink

Here's one end of the kitchen/DR combo room. PO had this as a LR/Kitchen combo.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PRSaJk9hooU21zOV6Qj0sg?feat=directlink

Here's the other "kitchen" side of the same room:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tHQZu_yO1NzBSHWX6shJnQ?feat=directlink

Here's the long hallway from the kitchen:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ygg8ZBYHid6l39VQDIDcqw?feat=directlink

The more I look at these, the more "go off-white" feeling I have. It just strikes me as right with the dark wood.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 6:41PM
lazy_gardens

Cute little house! A very pale creamy yellow - just barely yellow-white - could make it look really "sunny".

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
Painted Ceilings
What is the general consensus, or majority opinion,...
okla78
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™