FPE and Farrow & Ball?

zuponcicDecember 17, 2013

From a purely technical standpoint, what's the difference in these two paints? Is one superior--especially in a semi-gloss application? I recognize that FPE has many more color choices. But how do they LOOK different on a wall or on the woodwork?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitchendetective

This is not a definitive answer, by any means, but an offer of an opinion. To me, the best aspect of Farrow and Ball paint is the Estate Emulsion formulation's chalky, velvet-like finish (well, that and the fact that it doesn't give me headaches). If I want a flat finish, that is my go-to paint. I'll even sacrifice a bit on first choice of color in order to use F & B. So, if I cannot use the Estate Emulsion and I do not need to match a previous F & B color, then other possibilities open up. My sense about FPE (not based on experience) is that it does not have that same texture. Earlier posters have stated that it has almost a ceramic feel to it. I would expect better durability from FPE. Since you are using paint with some sheen, I might opt for the FPE, were relative price not a concern. For woodwork and cabinets, I would probably prefer the FPE, with the caveat that some painters do not have the skill or experience FPE application requires. When I looked into FPE for the exterior of a friend's (immense) Victorian, FPE said it did not have a single certified painter in my state, and they couldn't guaranty a satisfactory result.
I wish you had a way to contact Pirula (Ivette) who used to post here as she has used both.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 13:57

Bookmark   December 22, 2013 at 1:52PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Being a painter, I use FPE a good bit and there is no real trick to it. You certainly do not have to be certified to apply it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:18AM
kitchendetective

Perhaps this thread from many years ago will be helpful, especially comments by Pirula and Rococo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old FPE, etc. comments

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 10:34AM
zuponcic

Thanks so much, kitchen detective--I read Pirula/Rococo and others' comments and it was very helpful. I get it! I've used FPE in one house, and haven't tried the F&B. Different looks, essentially--both top quality. Thank you again.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™