Using glaze over painted furniture w/semi-gloss finish

lovesdesignDecember 28, 2007

I recently purchased two very expensive tables from Pottery Barn -- the color isn't quite right -- its too late to return them, so I want to glaze to tone down the Ming Red -- several different distressing and painting techniques have been used on the tables, and I don't want to mess those up, but need to prepare the surface for the glaze. Suggestions??????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Whenever I do anything extra over semi-gloss paint, I scuff the finish first so that the new coat will adhere. I like to use the Scotch-Brite maroon pads for this. I think they work much better than sandpaper or steel wool. The maroon pads are equivalent to a 320 grit. You can also wash them and reuse, although they do get thinner with use.


    Bookmark   December 31, 2007 at 1:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Katie...Would you also do same scuffing on cabinets if you're planning to "colorwash" them? TIA for your advice!

    Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 9:24AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™