Finished: Dining Room wall decor (plates, lampshades, etc.)

valinsvMarch 19, 2013

Some of you may recall I had posted a few weeks ago about updating the wall decor in my dining room to incorporate some vintage plates from my Grandmas that I had been storing in a cabinet for many years but rarely used. I imagine some may think it's a tad busy, but it makes me smile every time I walk by and remember each of my grandmas in a special way. Thank you to all who weighed in with your votes and suggestions. It really helped!

This is what it looked like before:

This was my first attempt:

And this is what it looks like now:

I even managed to find a spot for the egg plate on an adjacent wall:

DH was not thrilled to have to remount the mirror in the vertical direction as it's quite heavy. He never really suggests that I replace perfectly good items with something new, but he kept asking, did I want a newer, smaller (and lighter) mirror or just keep it in the same orientation.

I felt like I also needed a different centerpiece for the dining table for spring/summer so decided to use a crystal bowl with lemons temporarily until I find just the right thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patty_cakes

Val, there's no such thing as too busy, is there? I love a room filled w/stuff, makes it cozy and interesting. I like your finished room, especially the plates closer together. The egg plate might need a couple of friends to keep it company~it looks as tho it's floating. Smaller plates would be ok too~do you have any thrift stores near you? I like the use of the lemons too~carrying the yellow to the table 'works'. I agree, re:the bowl. Something footed to raise them up would be ideal, even a cake plate. I recently bought a silver plate one for $3.98. Can't beat that! Check out your thrift stores for goodies. ;o)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 2:34AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Well done!

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:35AM
cooperbailey

I like the finished wall arrangement very much.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:59AM
splitrock

Very fresh and lovely. I am learning a lot from what you did. I am amazed at the difference the mirror change made. I love how the colors in the room became so much more inviting with just the small changes you made. The doves are my favorite, though.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:03AM
katrina_ellen

The mirror looks more elegant hung vertically. I have noticed in a lot of posts that switching the direction of the mirror to vertical changed the look for the better, I am doing that with a mirror in my bedroom now. I love those no money improvements. I like the arrangement also.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:11AM
bronwynsmom

Oh, well done!

Looks great.

I am always thrilled to have a convert to the vertical mirror. Just because we can't live at Versailles doesn't mean we can't learn from it!

Make your husband a martini, put on some music and a little Chanel #5, and make him glad he went to the trouble... ;>)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:22AM
Boopadaboo

Looks beautiful! I like the doves too. :)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:23AM
mtnrdredux_gw

That's a great before/after. Before, pardon me, it was dowdy. Now it looks sophisticated.

One nit though ... Id get rid of the runner on the table. I think its a little out of date and isnt laying right (most of them don't it seems!)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:40AM
pirula

oh it's lovely! well done! I love the spot for the egg plate too....

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:48AM
tinan

It looks perfect now - what a difference in the arrangement of the same items!

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:48PM
Laurie

It looks great!
Nice spacing you used for the plates & framed prints around the mirror. I like the new shade color and the bowl of lemons on the table. The egg plate looks good in it's new spot, too.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Chalk paint?
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about doing a wall in my...
lisa_mocha
Appliances in. Please help me pick lights.
(It’s me. I've wanted to change my name for a while...
misformink
My anniversary gift
Got a new piece of furniture the other day. Well sort...
the_foxes_pad
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Lighting suggestions for extremely dark kitchen
My first post since site has moved, although I've been...
peacamp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™