What should I paint first?

fiddledddNovember 18, 2010

For the most professional job, which should I paint first.....my walls or door frames and baseboards? Or ceilings?

We're buying all new pre-hung doors for the interior of our house, and I was thinking how much easier it would be to paint all the trim before we install them. But then they'd probably get all messed up and I'd have to redo them.

We would go ahead and paint the walls before installing the doors, except that we don't have a paint color picked out yet. We're rehabbing a small house, and I'm going to have to buy all new furniture for the smaller space. Until I do that (which will be a bit down the road because there is just too much other stuff to do right now), I won't be able to determine a paint color. Meanwhile, we've just primed the new drywall.

But as a general rule, I've always wondered how the professional painters paint.....what order? And what kind of painter's tape do you use? We've had mixed success with painter's tape......sometimes it has left a residue or even pulled off some of the newly painted surface. Maybe we didn't have a good kind???

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

We use the regular 3M blue tape for painted trim. If the tape is pulling off paint, then that is usually an adhesion issue, meaning that the paint is not stuck well to the trim. This is hardly ever an issue when dealing with new trim, especially when a good primer is used. The correct order is trim, ceilings, walls. It's not really a time saver to paint the trim before it is hung because you have to fill nail holes and caulk after installation anyway and then paint over the caulk and the nail holes with two full coats for a professional job.

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
Wall color for dark gray couch with yellow accent pillows
Wondering what wall color would look good with a dark...
hammy5
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™