Pls Help me figure out what's wrong with my dog

patrice607January 14, 2012

Our 3 year old Maltese has had several episodes where he gets stiff and is unable to walk. This has happened 6 times and lasts anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

Sometimes he looses control of his bowels. He is always alert, but seems scared and is trembling. We showed our vet a video and she thinks it's a gastrointestinal issue. We are very careful with his diet.

Any suggestions???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elly_NJ

Best suggestion: please get him to the vet on Monday.

Good luck. Hope he's OK.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 6:11PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Maltese dogs are prone to Epilepsy and Hydrocephalus. I suggest you get that little dog to another vet ASAP. :)

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 7:39PM
arkansas_girl

She already said she took the dog to the vet or showed the vet a video of the episode. Perhaps, just as with people, you may want to get a second opinion. Not all vets are created equal, it took three different vets before one diagnosed my dog's thyroid condition! To me it sounds like a seizure.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 10:38PM
cynthia_gw

Can you share the video? I ask because when you say 'stiff and unable' to walk - that could also be a fear reaction. It would be helpful to have context as to when this happens and what you and he are doing when it occurs.

Bookmark   January 15, 2012 at 12:31PM
calliegal235

Have tick borne diseases been ruled out? 4DX will show if the dog has anaplasmosis; should find out immediately.

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 4:34AM
joepyeweed

It sounds like a seizure, especially the loss of bowels.

Does he seem disorientated and very hungry and thirsty for a several minutes afterwards?

Bookmark   January 16, 2012 at 10:24PM
cindyandmocha

I absolutely agree this might be a seizure. Please look at the website for epi guardian angels. You can google it. There are many variations of a seizure and that specifically sounds like one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: epi guardian angels website

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 3:59AM
Elly_NJ

Update on the dog?

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 12:31PM
aquawise

Grand Mall Seizure to be exact! They do not Die from them and the are med's that will help control them. You need to go to a vet to get them. He will need to know how often they happen and how bad they are. Not easy to find the cause. But there might be a trigger that brings them on. What happens just before a Seizure? Keep a record of just before it happens.
This might help pinpoint the cause! Say calm if you can and don't grab the dog they can hurt you and not mean to. Hope this helps! Vet Tech Gayla

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 12:22AM
eahamel

This sounds like a seizure disorder. I've had 2 dogs with it (both elderly, not maltese).

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™