paint before installing interior wood trim or after?? help!

coconutlemongrassNovember 14, 2012

Please help! We are removing our old wood trim and putting up new poplar trim, craftsman style, on all our windows, doors, and baseboards. We are painting it white. Should we prime and paint the boards first on saw horses and then mount them and touch up the nail holes after OR mount the boards first and then prime and paint while they are in place on the wall?? I want it to look as excellent as possible, but with that said, I am a DIYer and will be using a brush. I have BM Impervo latex, and do not have a primer pick out yet. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Get Fresh Start for primer and do it either way. Me, I would install it first, most would not.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 4:45AM
coconutlemongrass

Do you recommend Fresh Start Latex all purpose primer on the new wood? Or do I need to consider Oil based? I know it is an age old discussion. I am hoping to avoid oil based, but it seems it is maybe the better choice.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 11:00PM
PRO

It might be the better choice, but again, for me,I would use the latex, most would not.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 4:31AM
tuesday_2008

I installed what seemed like miles of window and door trim, baseboard, and shoe mold a few years ago. I painted before installation. I lightly sanded the bare wood, primed with Kilz primer, lightly sanded again, painted one coat, lightly sanded again, and applied a second coat. Poplar trim is a nappy wood, thus the grain raised after each application, requiring the light sanding between coats.

At the time, Kilz was the only primer I was used to, but Christoper recommends the Fresh Start a lot. May have to try that in the future.

After installation and caulking the nail holes, mitered joints, etc, I touched up the paint.

Painting before installation is much faster, eliminates taping, floor protection, etc.

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 3:15PM
PRO

Like I said, most would not.(:-)

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 4:09AM
coconutlemongrass

If I install the trim and paint after, would you recommend caulking all the seams on an arts and crafts style window trim? I am going to pick up my Fresh Start primer and we are starting today. It looks like we may install it all first and paint after. It is getting cold here and painting trim in the unheated garage is probably not a good idea anyway.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 12:59PM
PRO

Good idea if it is below 50 where you are and yes I would caulk seams after priming first
NOTE do NOT use pure silicon caulk!

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 5:31PM
coconutlemongrass

We just finished putting up the trim on our first window. Is any wood filler appropriate for filling the nail holes before we paint? What grit sand paper should I use after the first coat of primer. Thanks for all the help!

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:51PM
PRO

wood filler, yes
220 grit paper

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:49AM
More Discussions
Paint First or New Flooring First?
I asked a flooring salesman whether to paint walls...
jbnimble
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™