Clean paint lines on walls and trim

cheryll1952November 22, 2009

I'm in the process of repainting our walls and trim and I don't seem to be able to keep from getting either wall paint on the trim (crown and baseboards), or trim paint on the walls. I mask off the trim and walls with Frog tape, and I'm not getting bleed through, but since the walls/ceiling/floors are uneven, it seems impossible to get the tape itself in a clean perfectly straight line so that the paint edges are clean. I just repainted the walls a much lighter color and taped off the crown and baseboards. When I peeled off the tape, there are several spots where the tape edge extended just a hair onto the wall and a sliver of the old darker wall color is showing. I had the same problem with the skinny top edge of the baseboard.

How do you tape so that you don't have these problems? I don't have a steady enough hand to cut in without taping.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Try running a thin flexible putty knife on top of the tape edge. This sometimes helps even out your tape line because your fingertip really can't reach it since it is concave.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 11:23PM
pro_painter

Sometimes when an uneven surface makes masking the area difficult you have to paint then tape. Paint the uneven area of the wall or trim where the old paint is showing as best as you can to cover the old paint before you tape. Yes, you probably will get some wall paint on the trim paint or vise versa but this will be fixed. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly and re-tape this area. Paint the area carefully and remove the tape. You should now have a straight line of new paint with the old paint covered.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 11:39PM
trk65

What I do is paint the trim first and let it dry. Then I dry brush a little of the trim paint into the joints where the trim meets the wall surfaces-I don't want to build up any thickness, just get the trim color out onto the wall a tiny bit so that when I tape off the trim I can still see the trim color peeking out onto the wall. Now the wall color can go on and you don't see any of the old wall color.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 10:38AM
paintguy22

That is exactly right trk65 and something I didn't think of. I actually lap the trim paint about an inch onto the wall surfaces.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 2:09PM
cheryll1952

Thanks for the suggestions. They seem so simple I'm almost embarassed that I didn't think of either of them. I'm definitely going to give then a try.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 10:43PM
pro_painter

I'm sure you will have a nice paint job.

Bookmark   November 24, 2009 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Sponsored Products
Utopia 2-ft WIOP Architectural Linear Wall Mount, 1 x 17W T8, Single Ballast, 12
LBC Lighting
Mandala Wall Sconce
Lightology
Justice Design Group FSN-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade - Po
$300.00 | Hayneedle
Kichler Roswell Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Golden Bronze One-Light Custom Fit Outdoor Wall Lantern
$68.40 | Bellacor
Dainty Warm Grey Wallpaper R1132, sample
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™