Painting over wallpaper

aok27502November 25, 2011

I am going to do some painting in which one room has wallpaper. The owner does NOT want the wallpaper removed, she wants it painted. Apparently there was a wallpaper removal project in another area of the house. It seems the paper was not installed correctly, maybe over bare sheetrock. Anyway, it came off in postage stamp sized pieces and left the walls a mess. She does not want to go through this again. I have only done one other paint-over-paper job, and that was in really good shape and went well.

The wallpaper is in good shape, appears to be well adhered, without any peeling. EXCEPT. The room is three sided, with a large open entry on the fourth side. So, where the room wall meets the hallway wall at an outside corner, the wallpaper just stops. At this corner, the paper is a little worn, and maybe 1/4" or so has pulled up. I will need to stick it back down before I paint. My question is, what is the best method to re-adhere this area, of perhaps a few feet of height by 1/4" wide?

I am planning on two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Please advise any other steps I need to take to make this a success. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

joint compound, oil based primer is a MUST

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 5:17AM
graywings123

The Ben Moore paint site recommends using clear caulk to seal edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ben Moore - painting over wallpaper

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 9:37AM
aok27502

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think to look on a paint site for info.

My husband has suggested using a shellac based primer instead of oil based. It smells a little better, and dries faster. Any comments?

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 12:31PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Don't try to stick it down. Remove it. Use a straight edge and level to mark and cut away the loose edge. Fill and feather the edge with drywall compound and sand it smooth.

Be sure to caulk the seams at the baseboard and any other wood trim. This will prevent future seam lifting. Caulk after primer.

Wash the walls before proceeding. Dirt will keep ANY paint or primer from adhering.

If the wallcovering is paper, you can use GARDZ as the primer, followed by two full coats of paint. If you need to block out the wallcovering design, your only choice is an alkyd primer, similar to Coverstain.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 3:29PM
aok27502

Brushworks, I don't understand your last statement. All I really remember about the wallpaper is that it is dark with ugly flowers. What should I be looking at?

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 8:53PM
PRO

coverstain would be best
your'e husband said shellac based would not smell as bad
he is very wrong
coverstain makes a low odor, which just means it does not small as bad as the regular
it still smells, but Bin smells way worse

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 7:01AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

If you need to block out the wallcovering design, your only choice is an alkyd primer, similar to Coverstain.

All I really remember about the wallpaper is that it is dark with ugly flowers. What should I be looking at?

Coverstain.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 10:43AM
PRO

I think, maybe, you want, Coverstain

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 5:05AM
aok27502

Well, after all that, she's decided to hold off for a while. But I'll mark this thread if/when they decide, or until it comes up again.

And Coverstain it is. :)

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
What color yellow for cottage exterior
I'm painting my cottage this spring. I want to use...
Ann Guss
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™