cost - popcorn ceiling removal and paint

NeedBeerNovember 17, 2011

Just had a painting contractor over. Need to get the popcorn off my ceilings, prep and paint them. Using his estimate ($7500) for about 1400 square foot of ceiling area (living and dining are vaulted 14 foot - rest is flat 8 foot ceilings), that works out to over $5 a square foot. seems really high.

I have calls in to others, but not had much luck getting any call backs. I already work over 80 hours a week, and dont have time to do it myself (did the master bedroom myself last year).

Anyone else have this done? what did you wind up paying for it? I also posted this in remodeling forum. wasnt sure which it applied to more. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scarlett2001

The big question is - does it contain asbestos or not? You can look in the yellow pages and find asbestos testing places. Or you can look the other way, which I do not recommend, based on experience.

I had an estimate of $600 for a 15 x 25 foot living room/dining room - decided to do it myself. I got a lung infection from the dust, developed pneumonia, etc. Doctor bills plus lost time from work was way over the $600. (Antibiotic pills were $400 for 10 days.) Also, the hugest mess you ever saw, anywhere.

But, if you are really a die hard DIYer, please invest in a respirator, not a little painting mask. Good luck!

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™