Painter charging by hour or by job?

debbie1000November 10, 2010

We had a quote and it was a per hour price, said it would take 3-4 days. Do painters generally charge by the hour or by the whole job?

I can see it both ways. If it is by the hour, we can ask him to do other things along the way, fixing a wall, etc; but per job, it is just "what the contract says."

Is charging per hour risky because we really don't know how long it will take? I have no reason to think that he would work slower. He did give a range of 3-4 days. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Most painters bid by the job. Bidding jobs by the hour is a sure way to lose work because nobody wants a bid presented that way. They want to compare one painters bid with the others. Not only that, bidding by the hour is risky like you say....the guy can stretch the job the job out as long as he likes. It's also unprofessional...it's like coming right out and saying to your potential customer, "I have no idea how long this job will take because I don't have that much experience painting so I'm bidding your job by the hour so I can't lose."

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™