Bladder Crystals - Best Food

cookingrvcJanuary 27, 2010

Well my new boy Seymour is predisposed to forming crystals and his first urine test with our vet showed a high PH and elevated phospherous levels (I think I said that right). He was on Iams for a week at the time of the sample.

I don't have the urine test yet so I can't give the results, however he suggested that we continue to feed Iams wet for another week and see how his levels are at that time. If not, he said we'd have to go to the prescription food which ALL my cats will need to eat since I can't guarantee he won't nibble at their food.

I recall Laurief saying that dry food should be eliminated, yet the vet said that a little Iams dry can be left out for nibbling during the day.

This is a very serious condition, so I want to be certain that I am treating it properly. Any advice?

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petaloid

Royal Canin - Control Formula kibble from the vet is what we've been feeding our cat since he had a major crystal problem a year ago. He and his two friends love it and there have been no more bladder problems. If your vet has your cat on an Iams food, it may have similar ingredients.

Plenty of fresh water is always available which they prefer in the shiny stainless steel dish, or from the automatic drinker (which is on the fritz at the moment).

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 10:44PM
Meghane

Some additional information is needed.

What species is Seymour- dog or cat?
How old is he (phosphorus can be increased normally in young animals)?
What type of crystals?
How many crystals?
Any clinical signs such as straining to urinate, blood in urine?

I always recommend canned food for cats. In dogs it depends on the crystals.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 8:43PM
michele_2010

people are finding great success with a tiny drop of liquid chlorophyll in the drinking water, swear they have saved their cats with it. Tiny drop, though, or the cat will never drink it. I don't know much about it, but you could read up on it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Need recommendation for an easy grip leash
I've seen several when google searching the subject,...
arkansas_girl
UBAVET Joint Plus Glucosamine HCL
Does anyone have their dog or cat on UBAVET Joint Plus...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
How to approach neighbors re: horrendous dog poo smell?
I'm sorry if this post is long, but I'm trying to give...
loralee_2007
Need some advice regarding my neighbor's dogs.......kinda long....
She has 3 dogs - 12 yr old Collie (some arthritis issues),...
kitasmommie
Cat pees in bathtub
Why does he do this. I think it is the only place...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™