Outdoor cats indoors -- YIKES !!!

ryseryse_2004January 6, 2014

With days and days of sub-zero temps we can't leave these cats outside overnight - not even in the daytime. We fortunately have a guest house so all seven are in there now. They normally spend a little time inside so know all about the litter (pools) so that isn't a problem but they are sooooo bored!!!

You would think they would play with each other but they just don't do that. Don't know why. Two of them are BFF and are just snuggling but the others don't know what to do with themselves. They hate this and I do also! Cleaning litter pools twice a day isn't pleasant and then what to do with the pounds of clumps is something I will have to worry about later. Can't just throw it outside because the dogs will eat it, nasty creatures that they are - and then throw up all over when they come into the house..

Where is that global warming when you need it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Never heard of litter pools. I guess that's litter boxes.

I can imagine the confinement is difficult but you are probably saving their lives or at least keeping them comfortable. Lucky kitties.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 4:45PM
ryseryse_2004

Litter pools are baby swimming pools used for litter boxes. I have two of them and all the cats are happy using them fortunately. Takes a lot of litter though.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 5:36PM
sylviatexas1

You hit the nail on the head when you said
'the others don't know what to do with themselves. They hate this'

They're disoriented & leary, & I don't know of a thing you can do other than try to not rattle them further.

Although I'm tempted to make the same joke about global warming, I don't, because so many people just don't realize what it really is;
it isn't just 'warming'; it's violent disruption of normal weather patterns, too, as warm air moves faster. Rest assured, summer will be along in a few months!

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 6:34PM
janalyn

RyseRyse - If it helps, every time you clean those litter pools, think of me and many others, who think you are a wonderful person for thinking and caring about your furry friends. You should feel a warm fuzzy glow every time you do it, cyber-hugs are being sent your way.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 7:20PM
neenee

Maybe some fur mice and some cardboard boxes would help. We've had a box in the living room since Christmas and our cats are having a big time taking turns in it.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 8:50PM
vicki7

I was going to suggest the same thing Jeane just suggested. Most cats find boxes irresistable. Bless you for helping those kitties stay out of the horrible cold!

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 1:08PM
laurief_gw

cardboard boxes of all sizes, large paper grocery bags, the plastic rings off of milk jug caps. ping pong balls, tennis balls, lightweight (small) throw rugs, crumpled up small paper balls, straws, chunks of firewood ... these are all good distractions for bored cats.They need things to hide in and under and things to chase and bat around.

Laurie

Bookmark   January 8, 2014 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Found baby bird with bald spot
Hi! There's a lot of maya birds in our area and this...
makoto
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
Let's see your beloved pets
We need some happy posts on this forum, so let's see...
pamghatten
Need some advice regarding my neighbor's dogs.......kinda long....
She has 3 dogs - 12 yr old Collie (some arthritis issues),...
kitasmommie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™