Grease Stains on Flat Paint

JaniefulNovember 7, 2011

Because we were newbies and ignorant, we ended up painting our kitchen with some cheap $5 reject paint from Sherwin Williams. Well, five years and two kids later, the walls are a disaster. I bought a nearly identical colored (but semi-gloss) paint that we have gradually been painting the walls with. It looks much better, but we've held off on the two walls that have terrible stains on them.

Another dumb mistake was that I had a shelf with my olive oil on it. Well, some of the oil got on the wall. I tried to clean it, then primed and re-painted the spot. Of course the stain came back through again. Since then I have cleaned with TSP and sanded. Now I can't even tell if the stain is still there, but I'm worried about repainting the wall, for fear it will still be there. I have an oil based stain primer that I can use, but I guess my question is - do I have to prime the whole wall with it, or can I just prime the stain? There are other stains on the wall, and I can't tell if they are water or oil stains. TSP didn't take those out either. They don't seem as bad as the olive oil stain. Can I be semi confident after sanding and cleaning that when I use a semi-gloss it will look okay?

Oh, and my oil-based primer says not to use TSP. Why? Overall I was unimpressed with the TSP and am not sure why I even bought it.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you have for me moving forward.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

TSP requires a flood rinse. TSP residue causes adhesion problems. That's why paint companies do not endorse it. Be sure to rinse well and dry the area.

Dirtex works best for cleaning interior substrates.

You do not need to prime the entire wall, but you do need to roll out a 2' X 3' area, and then you must apply two full coats of paint over the walls. If you only apply one coat, the primed area may look visibly different (darker, richer color).

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
queenie919
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
What is the best interior latex paint?
I have used Ben Moore for the past 40 years as a superior...
pjj1955
Wall color for dark gray couch with yellow accent pillows
Wondering what wall color would look good with a dark...
hammy5
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Dhurries Navy / Ivory 9 ft. x
Home Depot
Cambridge Light Blue and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 12 Ft. Rug
$157.95 | Bellacor
Tessa Sheet Set
$339.00 | FRONTGATE
Glide Bikes 12 in. Go Glider Balance Bike - Pink - MG12-P
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Acorn Black 28-inch to 48-inch Curtain Rod
$49.95 | Bellacor