Two coats of primer ?

caminncNovember 29, 2011

I have noticed several people here have mentioned priming twice. Although I have done this in small areas at times, what are the guide lines for knowing when to use two coats of primer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierraeast

One guideline is that if the first coat has sat for awhile,(weeks, months, years?), it's a good idea to lightly sand and re-primer dependent on primer type and the project concerned.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 3:47PM
caminnc

Thanks, I knew that one but some people prime twice for cabinets and stuff like that as well. Maybe just on wood.?.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 3:50PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Priming twice can be used to build or fill in barely detectable woodgrain.

Other than that........it's a waste of primer

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 4:28PM
sombreuil_mongrel

It can be helpful on new woodwork, esp. that to receive an oil enamel finish. One coat of primer doesn't do justice to end grain, small checks and other defects. If you follow the recommended prime/ then caulk order of operations, any areas that needed resurfacing with spackle will need an additional coat of primer of those things can shine through,
And the there's MDF. It needs a sealer and a primer, I don't know of a single-step product that can do as well.
Casey

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 5:39PM
caminnc

Thanks guys!!!

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 6:34PM
Cindy1961

Priming twice can also be helpful if you have something in a really really bright or dark color. For example, the only way to cover the yellowish sandish color all our house was painted in on the inside, with other colors like blue, was to either use several coats or to prime the wall twice.

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 7:52PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Priming twice can also be helpful if you have something in a really really bright or dark color. For example, the only way to cover the yellowish sandish color all our house was painted in on the inside, with other colors like blue, was to either use several coats or to prime the wall twice.

Not so if using a quality primer. One coat of primer is all you need,it will not complety hide what you are priming but that is not what it is made to do, the finish coats will do the hiding.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 4:51AM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™