Rats, I didn't clip your responses on wallpapering

sorrisoNovember 6, 2010

About, oh two years ago, I got the grand idea to wallpaper a couple of walls in our dining area. And finally we're actually going to do it. At that time I posted a question asking for your hints, received MANY excellent responses and don't you know, I didn't clip them and they've fallen off the list.

Would you mind doing it again? We've never wallpapered before and want to decrease potential insanity over the task. Here's what I bought: http://www.swdecorating.com/default.asp?fm=/easychange.asp: described as pre-pasted and it's an "easychange" wallpaper.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: the enlarged view

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

What do you want to know???

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 7:19AM
sorriso

Just everything of course!

There are tips on the Sherwin Williams page about hanging wallpaper but I want to hear things from the forum because to me it's more "real." Out of sheer laziness I don't even know if there's a special paste to use to adhere it to the wall. What tools do we need? I seem to recall from my childhood that some kind of a stick/bar is used to smooth it once up. Since we're only doing two walls we only have one corner--any suggestions? Best part, the house is over 150 years old, not level or plumb so that adds another challenge--or not; but what do I know?

Thank you for asking christophern.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 8:36AM
paintguy22

Read the directions that came with the wallpaper to determine which wallcovering primer to use and which paste. The primer is the most important thing because it makes hanging easier and removal later easier as well.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 11:29AM
sorriso

There are no apparent directions that came with the wallpaper. I ordered it via telephone from the local store after having received a sample at home months ago and it was shipped to my house. There were no separate directions in the packaging. I haven't opened a roll yet, could there be directions on the under-side of the label?

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 12:10PM
paintguy22

Usually, there is a sheet of directions inside the wallpaper roll. If not, perhaps you can look for manufacturers directions online on their website. If not, I believe that Shieldz is a good general purpose wallcovering primer. It is made by Zinnser.

Bookmark   November 7, 2010 at 3:40PM
rafor

I was papering a bath for a friend after he had tried doing it himself. As he watched me carefully work around the built in vanity, he said: "So the trick is to be really patient"! That would be my most important suggestion. Make small cuts and clips as you are trying to fit the paper around various obstacles like windows, doors, fireplaces, bathtubs, etc. Hope that helps.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 5:57PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Goggle it, there are many sites that give you and idea. Take my word, it is NOT as easy as it looks( to do properly) I did this for a living for 20 years. Here is a site to get you started( disregard the hideous paper selection)

Here is a link that might be useful: wall paper

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 6:31PM
sorriso

Thank you all for the input; I've bookmarked the site christophern. We do appreciate the difficulty of the task--hence the questions. The only obstacle, other than ourselves and the crookedness of the house, is the thermostat to go around and that's coming off the wall for the papering so it doesn't require rafor's skill! Other than that it's just the two interior walls.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
How To Remove Paint From Stainless Steel
I have two appliances that I want to reuse in my kitchen...
homechef59
Kitchen Cabinets
The previous owner put polyurethane on oak cabinets....
luckeylaredo
What finish for Exterior Douglas Fir Door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. I'd like to...
kisu
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
Sponsored Products
Logan Silver Towel Holder
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Modesto Squares Red 3 ft. 11
$56.97 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Mansfield Williamsburg Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
62" Minka Aire Gilera White Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Alfresco Home Basilica Mosaic Bistro Table - 21-1345
$584.00 | Hayneedle