Stitches

jxbrownJanuary 5, 2013

Our poodle had to have a largish sebaceous cyst removed. The vet said to return in 14 days for stitch removal. That seems like a long time. In people we usually do 5-7 days based on the location. Any ideas? She's wearing a t-shirt instead of a cone now which is a relief.

The vet kissed my dog on the top of her head. If I kissed one of my patients, iI'd get reported to the medical board! My patients aren't as cute as my dog....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninapearl

whenever i've had a dog with stitches, it's always 10-14 days before they are removed. sounds like your vet is a real sweetheart!

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 3:55PM
trancegemini_wa

Mine have had stitches out at the two week mark each time they had them so I think that's fairly standard.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 12:17AM
calliope

Yep, two weeks.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 7:23AM
laurief_gw

Most dogs are a lot more active than most human beings. All that activity can put a lot of strain on sutures and newly healing tissue. 10-14 days is pretty standard for animal suture removal. Better safe than sorry and let the sutures stay in a little longer to insure stable wound healing.

Laurie

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 2:18PM
jackieblue

My dog just had stitches as well due to an injury and due to work schedules and covering for others who were on vacation I could not get back to them on day 14 (which would also have been Christmas day so they wouldn't be open), so they pushed the removal out even further saying it would be no problem leaving them in longer. I took the cone off on day 14 and miraculously he left the stitches alone until we went in for removal several days later.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Lactaid all right for my cat?
Like a lot of cats, my kitty is lactose intolerant....
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
Housetrained dog having accidents in the house!
My dog is about 2 and 1/2 years old and is housetrained...
bookworm_2007
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™