Security Door and Entry Door color

peace_roseNovember 3, 2011

We just installed a new exterior door and plan on installing a security door, too. I'm torn whether to choose white or black. As you can see, the house is blue (BM Denim Wash), with white trim. Here's a picture from Halloween night:

I personally like black security doors better, but I'm wondering if we should stick with white because the trim on the house is white, too.

I'm also pondering if I should paint the entry door an accent color, perhaps a shade of red or green? The Denim Wash is rather bold, so I don't want it to all end up looking like a carnival. So thinking about all this together, what would you do?

Here's a picture of what's behind the front door:

And from another angle:

And the exterior during the day:

I've got a cottage style going on, but everything is a work in progress. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dtchgrl

How about a shade of yellow...its goes very well with blue but would not be jarring. I've seen some gorgeous yellow front doors shown on threads in the Home Decorating forum.
This sounds silly, but what is a security door? Is it a storm door? I always like it when the storm door is painted the same color as the front door. Otherwise, in my opinion it often makes the front door look too small.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 2:39PM
peace_rose

Not silly at all - you're not a mind reader!
I'm thinking something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100560955/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202766475

I've got small children who tend to leave the door open when they come and go, so I want something with a screen to keep the bugs out and the heat in.

Anyway, I hadn't considered yellow. Thanks for that suggestion. Perhaps something mustardy?

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 4:10PM
CaseStudy22

Have you thought of a really nice screen door that you could paint any color? I had an iron security door when I lived in the city and never liked it; it was purely to help prevent breakins. Most of them aren't screened either so I don't think they would help with the bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Screen Door Co.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 10:02PM
peace_rose

Ooohh, I love the idea of a wooden screen door! It would fit with the style of the house just perfectly. Thank you for helping me think outside the box. So what color to paint the entry door and screen door?

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 11:29PM
dtchgrl

Have you cross posted on the Home Decorating forum? Lots of folks over there are good with helping select colors.

And I'm not sure that a screen door/storm door has to be wood. Many in my neighborhood have painted their metal storm/screen doors. (Often they are one in the same...you can switch out the screen for "glass" in the winter.)

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 11:47PM
CaseStudy22

I have an aluminum clad storm door that can be switched out for a screen in the summer...honestly I've never done it, none of us feels like unscrewing that large plate of glass and fooling with it. So it's glass all year.

OP, my neighbor has one of those screen doors from the link. They have it painted in their accent color (I guess it is the third color on their exterior, it's an apricot type of color on their house is sage green); it looks so charming. Plus there is something so summery and homey about the gentle slap sound that wooden door makes when the kids run in and out.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
White/cream to compliment Simply White trim?
For small hallway and bathroom. Trim is BM simply white....
randekasp
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Sponsored Products
Brentwood Polished Gold Maria Theresa Chandelier with Clear Swarovski Strass Cry
Bellacor
Cast Shoe Doorstop - Copper - Tom Dixon
$195.00 | HORNE
British Colonial Spindle Outdoor Side Table Cover
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Bath Authority DreamLine Allure Shower Door (36"-43")
Modern Bathroom
Vitra | Skape Lowback Chair
YLiving.com
Waldeck Dresser
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™