Kitchen Layout- Where to start

cmc274February 23, 2014

So we've purchased a house that is in need of a new kitchen. The existing kitchen, which does not have a DW, is a single wall layout along the 10'8" wall, however the rest of the space is completely unused except for the refrigerator. Based on our budget, I do not think modifying / relocating the hall closet is an option. The rear door thats unlabeled goes to a full bath (the only bath on 1st floor).

We'd like a 36" range and 30" sink, some type of eat-at bar for a few stools and would prefer not to have the range in an island. I think its wide enough to cabinets on both walls with a center island, however we cannot for the life of use figure what to do at the big bump out. We are also looking for a relatively clean look, like the link below

We intend to work with an ID/ KD firm, however we're trying to hash out some basic concepts / layouts.

Any thoughts, opinion would be very much welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Kitchen

This post was edited by cmc274 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:53

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frmrswife

Is swapping the two spaces an option? If you use the current kitchen as your dining area, you could have an L-shape in cabinets with the refrigerator just next to the closet. Maybe some sort of peninsula around the column?

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:16PM
cmc274

Not really an option due to window size and location. I was too lazy to draw in the dining room windows, but they would all be below counter height.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:31PM
frmrswife

This is what I came up with before I saw your message :). Much better options with the walls without doors! That hall door so close to the wall really limits your options IMO.

There are many who are expert whereas I am not. Maybe they have ideas! From Screen Captures

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 9:51PM
frmrswife

I couldn't make a 36" range go on a wall, but maybe the others will have ideas! From Screen Captures

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 10:16PM
cmc274

I like the peninsula location and size. Even with a 30" range, I think its hard locate on a wall and provide ample prep space in reasonable proximity. The reason we wanted to keep the stove on the wall was to minimize the visual impact of the hood. I've had a downdraft exhaust before and it was pretty useless. Hope folks keep the ideas coming.

Bookmark   February 23, 2014 at 11:10PM
frmrswife

I guess you could put he sink in the peninsula. I just like mine under a window. :)

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Silestone suede cemento for kitchen counters ?
I am considering this dark grey "cemento"...
jeannette10
Tile all over range and just one row up elsewhere
I have been looking for backsplash tile and found cheap...
crl_
Small Kitchen Reveal - Complete with total redo of the plan during!
It was hard to even begin to post since my kitchen...
lurkerlisa
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
Help me with my Appliance Allowance - $15k
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™