Rust prevention on cast-iron fountain

yadax3November 11, 2007

Hi,

This isn't a paint question per say, but I'm thinking paint experts may have the most knowledge on this subject.

A couple of months ago we bought a cast iron fountain for our patio. The odd thing is, our sprinkler system doesnÂt use water from our water softener but our garden hoses do and we filled the fountain with a hose, which (we believe) caused rust to develop in and on the fountain. Anyway, weÂve purchased some naval jelly to remove the rust but weÂre not sure how to keep the rust from coming back other than to fill the fountain with un-softened water in the future. We donÂt particularly want to paint the fountain because we like the old-world finish on it (i.e. fake rust  ironic, huh?) and it appears rust inhibitors are all oily, which wouldnÂt work well in a fountain that attracts birds.

DH is wondering if we can use polyurethane to protect the fountain, however, the only ones we found at HD seem to be meant for wood and donÂt mention they can be used on metal. I found a lacquer made by Rustoleum but it isnÂt meant to be used outdoors.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Cast iron rusts unless it has a finish to protect it (and even then the finish requires maintenance).
Two coats of any decent metal paint (Rustoleum, etc,) over a coat of primer should limit repainting.
Getting paint to stay under water is even harder.
Usually epoxy type paints last the longest, but even those eventually allow enough moisture through to create rust and damage the finish film.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 8:21PM
yadax3

In the event anyone else with the same problem finds this thread, I want to post the remedy: POR-15 as recommended by the nursery where I purchased the fountain. It supposedly restores the original finish/color and lasts for a couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: POR-15

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 11:52AM
margoressler_sbcglobal_net

i have the same problem sandblasted twice prime paint ect.... still peeled and rusted not sure what to do might buy a concrete one help

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 10:08PM
goldylocks440

I am going to try rustoleum paint from Home Depot to keep my cast iron fountain from rusting. It's an old cow waterer, and when I moved into my home the fountain basin was filled with transmission fluid and motor oil. I have cleaned all that out and am about to finally paint it and then I will put it all back together. I have ordered a new fountain pump. I will post new pictures and updates about how the rustoleum paint works to prevent rust.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
What do you think of Coronado vs. Ben Moore Classic
I had discussed using Ben Moore paints with the painter...
CT_Newbie
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™