Outlet Covers/Light Switches

allboysNovember 5, 2011

I have painted a room in our basement a very, very dark red. It is a large room with 3 'areas' - one with a pool table, one with a bar, and one with a game table/book shelves.

I am wondering what to do about all of the outlets, light switches, and wall heat vent or return covers. The inside part of the electrical outlets and the actual switch in the lightswitch is white.

I am painting the trim Benjamin Moore Pompeii.

I would appreciate any advice!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

See answers on DIY site

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 5:10AM
graywings123

You can paint the cover to the outlets and light switches and the vent and return covers. However, the switches and the outlets themselves are trickier. If you don't have a lot of them, you could replace them with black switches and outlets. I was in the same situation with a brown room and I left the switches and outlets white. It just didn't bother me enough to change them.

For the air vents and returns, instead of painting them red, you might want to spray paint them with black enamel. Spray enamel is less likely to drip and clump in corners.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 9:09AM
taureg

Lurton makes switch plates in a very wide variety of colors. Check and see if they have what you need.

You can also buy new vent covers in various colors of metal. I don't remember the place I used but Google architectural grillwork or vent covers. I don't know I'd metal will look better but it is woth checking out. They are not expensive.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Mixing your own paint colors
Decided I want to do this bc I can't find exactly what...
kashka_kat
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™