what style/finish kitchen should this house have?

southernmumFebruary 26, 2013

I've found the other thread on here today about a white kitchen in a craftsman style house very interesting! I love the way so many of you know all the architectural styles and terminology. (I'd love to know more about all that!) Anyway, for months now I've been trying to figure out the real style of my house we're building. I think it's actually a combo of several styles. Would love to know what kind of kitchen you guys see for my house! *(Long story but I'm now with a new cabinet company starting kitchen design all over, so the sky is the limit!) Do you see it white or wood-toned? or a mix? Excuse my little watercolor photo -- this is what I do for fun, to get good color combo ideas for the exterior! Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
island

Don't know what your plans are for the inside, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have white or wood. Traditional or transitional in style.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:03PM
southernmum

Thanks, island! This is the first build/remodel that I'm actually aware of the term "transitional style", lol! I'm such a traditional girl, but I'm actually liking some of the new kitchens I've been seeing. Every time I watch "Love it or List it" I notice how Hilary really does a lot of transitional kitchens!

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 9:43PM
southernmum

Anyone else? Would love input!
Thanks

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:55PM
davidahn

House looks basically Georgian Colonial and Cape Cod, with some Victorian touches.

You have many kitchen style options: traditional, transitional, even contemporary if you are so inclined. When I watch HGTV home shows, I'm seeing a LOT of transitional and contemporary kitchens because that's where most people are; few are at the traditional and fully modern ends. (My wife and I have traditional at one home and full Danish modern at our main home.)

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 2:33AM
southernmum

Thanks, Davidahn! Hmmm, I need to check out Danish modern.
Not familiar with that... See, part of my problem is that I WISH
I was building a Cape Cod/ Coastal home, but I live on a
Mtn in Tennessee! ;) I welcome thoughts on kitchen style for this exterior from to all -- I love all the expertise here!!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 10:55AM
southernmum

*Renovator8, if you see this post, I'd LOVE your input! :) I just want to get my kitchen right and make sure it matches the look and architectural style of the house. All suggestions welcome!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 11:39PM
EAM44

I can't help but take my cue from your lovely rendering of your home. I see your kitchen having warm wood tones a green backsplash, and perhaps a soapstone counter. But that doesn't mean you can't also incorporate white. The image below is from ayerg73's kitchen - link to finished kitchen thread is below (just ignore the blue paint on the walls). In this kitchen the perimeter cabs are white with a wood island. You could do something similar, or have wood cabinets on the perimeter with a white island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ayerg73

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 12:25AM
davidahn

Southernmum, my wife's family lived in Chattanooga for years... it's beautiful out there! You do your thing, Cape Cod style if that's what you like. :)

Here are a couple of good looks for your kitchen:

Contemporary Kitchen design by San Francisco General Contractor Dijeau Poage Construction

Contemporary Kitchen design by San Francisco General Contractor Build For Me Construction

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 12:51AM
southernmum

Thanks so much! Great photos you guys provided!

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Here's as close to a reveal as I may ever get... :)
I'm not going to call this a reveal because I am not...
crcollins1_gw
Freaky photo issue!
I just tried to start a new thread and attempted to...
debrak_2008
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
How To Buy a Faucet
Ive lurked and IÂve learned a lot from GardenWeb....
francesca_sf
Walnut slab for island with sink
We are building a home and I am considering using a...
sherry0117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™