Help choosing paint color for wood paneling

lynnphiNovember 13, 2012

Hello all - I have to say this is an amazing forum. We have just bought a new house and I've consulted these boards endlessly! So thanks to you all.

I have a specific "problem" that I'd appreciate input on. Our family room has beautiful cathedral ceilings, dark wood beams and dark wood floors. The only issue - very yellow, very knotty pine wood paneled walls.

I have already committed to painting them (considered keeping them or whitewashing them, but in the end just want something clean looking) and now I'm deciding on a paint color. So far I have considered BM's abingdon putty, putnam ivory, or maybe a shade darker like wheeling neutral.

I wonder if I should go more gray, to evoke that beachy wood feel. Most pictures I see of painted wood paneling is done in white, but since the ceiling is so high I am afraid doing white will make everything feel lost in the room.

What color would you recommend? Please disregard the furniture/decor - it's not ours!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

If you are not whitewashing, then you can pick any paint color you'd like.

Rather than picking a color cold, I would start with an inspiration piece...a picture of a room from houzz.com or a magazine, a plate, a piece of art, a landscape you'd like to be reminded of...anything.

Then, once you have a direction, you can pick your colors, fabrics, carpets, etc. to take you in that direction to achieve the look you want.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 10:02AM
lynnphi

Thanks Annie for responding. I have checked out houzz for inspiration ideas. I suppose my question was more about whether the color decision will be influenced by the fact that the walls will be wood textured. Most of the rooms shown are on smooth sheetrock. With the groove of the wood showing, I am wondering if using a dark color will make it look dated. Just thinking aloud. Thanks again!

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:26AM
Annie Deighnaugh

We had awful cheap paneling in the basement of the old house and we painted it before we sold it...I picked a pale blue in one part and a cream in the other...it came out nice and the grooves really didn't matter...it just makes the room look a solid color...

Bookmark   November 16, 2012 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Need help picking up the right paint color for my brand new house
Hi, We must bought a brand new house and request to...
san28
Question about repainting exterior door
The front door on my house is fiberglass, and was painted...
patriceny
Sponsored Products
33 Inch Customizable Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Casa Sierra Collection Bronze 14 3/4" High Wall Light
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Black 1-light Wall Lantern
$98.28 | Home Depot
Broche Antique Silver Six-Light Pendant Chandelier
$798.00 | Bellacor
72" Unfinished Mission Linen Cabinet
Signature Hardware