Dog's hives becoming one big hive.

caflowerluverJanuary 28, 2010

My mini Dachshund was bitten by an yellow jacket, or some other insect, on her muzzle last Sunday. She swelled up all around her face and neck and got hives. This has happened before so followed the vets advice from last time. The swelling went down in a day or so. She was also lethargic, off her feed with soft stools. She now seems to be fine and has returned to her normal eating and activity.

But there was one thing that was new, the individual hives have become one big hive on her back. It is like they merged toghether. I have never seen this before. Should I be concerned?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I would be concerned. I think you should get her to the vet and have her checked.
Surely this is uncomfortable for her........

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 12:39PM
yborgal

She still has hives 5 days after she was bitten? I agree with annz, the poor thing must be very uncomfortable. She's not rubbing and trying to scratch her back?

I'd get her to the Vet right away. It might be that the toxins/histamines may still be active in her system. I'd be concerned that the problem swelling might go to her throat and hamper her breathing.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 1:58PM
mazer415

Good that you got her to the vet. Good luck and I hope you post with her progress

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 5:55PM
caflowerluver

Now the big hive disappeared in one day! Really strange. She is back to normal or at least her skin is. And she did not act like she had any itch nor did she ever scratch at any time. And no problem breathing or drinking or eating. Don't know what bit her but it was the same kind of reaction she had to yellow jackets last summer. I had called the vet on Monday, forgot to mention that, and she said to do what I did last time and no need to see her.
Thanks for the replies.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
Lactaid all right for my cat?
Like a lot of cats, my kitty is lactose intolerant....
sandyslopes z5 n. UT
dog suddenly licking snow and plants
Today, like normal, my dog woke me when she needed...
greengirlreba
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™