White picket fence

lucilleNovember 25, 2012

I have read that paint does not stick well to treated wood. Before the days of treated wood, how were the posts which had contact with the ground, protected from rot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

I did some reading on this after having a fence section replaced with treated wood. You are advised to not paint immediately after the fence is erected because the wood is wet from the chemicals. But after the liquid that contains the wood treatment dries off, then you can paint.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 10:06AM
lucille

Graywings, thank you. If I keep the fence painted, is there any reason that anything except the posts needs to be treated?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 12:09PM
paintguy22

I don't think the purpose of treated wood is to protect the wood for rot. It's more to protect it from insects and funguses. If you stick a piece of wood in the ground, treated or not, it's going to eventually rot. This is why if possible, they put the posts on top of concrete or gravel or stones...whatever they can to improve drainage. Aside from that, keep the posts primed and painted to help them last as long as they can. The primer/paint is like giving the wood a layer of skin so that the moisture will roll off the wood instead of sinking into it...to a certain degree anyway. Really, if you put wood into the ground where rain and snow sits, mother nature is going to win eventually.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 2:57PM
lucille

For the non-post boards, do you think the insects will dome through the paint? They don't seem to be doing that to my painted house. So do they need to be treated?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 3:02PM
paintguy22

The pressure treatment is done with a huge vacuum machine before you buy the wood. It's not something you can do later. It's mainly for applications where you do nothing to the wood like stain or paint it like for decks or railroad ties. Your painted wood will be fine.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 3:58PM
dominoswrath

There was an airing porch replaced on our home just before we purchased. It was pressure treated wood. I was told to wait a year or until the wood "greys" out before painting. I decided not to paint, but I do apply a coating of thompson's water seal annually to protect the wood.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 9:36AM
lucille

I hope you will forgive, this is not a paint question but I could not see a forum where it would be appropriate.
I went to Lowe's to get the posts. While I was there, a contractor struck up a conversation with me. He would not stop talking. I moved from the covered area where they were loading to the inside, he started following, then started talking to the Lowe's staff. I got an earful about fences. (And raising kids, immigration, etc.) Anyway one of the things he said was that I would need an 80 lb sack of quikcrete for each post.
This seems a little excessive for an ornamental 4 foot picket fence. For those who have built their fences, how much did you use per post?

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:42PM
paintguy22

I would guess there are codes written for each city concerning how deep the holes need to be. Try asking over at the porches and decks forum....guys that build decks are usually dealing with post holes all the time.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 8:02PM
lucille

Thanks I'll ask there.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Paint not cured-it's been over a month!
I recently painted an unfinished wooden bench. I did...
Phobie Privett
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™