Paint chipping from fence

obrionusaNovember 1, 2011

At my Dads lake house there is a 4'X8' fence at the side of the drive to keep someone from hitting the well. Its been there for over 25 years. Others have painted it but it always ends up looking the same in a few short years. I scraped, power washed and scraped again. I noticed a lot of green coming off while power washing. I now have a quart of Sherwin Williams exterior latex primer. My question how long do I let it dry after power washing before priming and do you think I have a chance of it sticking? How long to let the primer dry before painting? There is a lot of morning dew this time of year too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Wood that is exposed to the elements for that many years is doing well to hold paint for a few short years. If it were my project, I'd install a new vinyl fence and be done forever.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 7:49AM
obrionusa

A vinyl fence will be my next step if this doesnt hold. Im glad you took the words right out of my mouth. I would like to do it now, but dont have the time or money:)Only here for a week between sealing the deck, winterizing the boats and installing a tub surround.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 8:57AM
graywings123

Yuck to vinyl fences. I don't know where you live, but you might be better off delaying this project until spring.

The can of primer will specify how much dry time you need to give before repainting. Power washing will push water into the wood fibers, so it could be a while before the wood dries out.

Here's my followup question for the experts: would an oil-based primer be a better choice in this case?

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 9:37AM
PRO

No primer is a better choice over moisture laden, softened wood. It's dead, bury it. :)

A vinyl fence it is!

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 10:28AM
graywings123

Assuming the wood is neither moisture-laden nor softened, would an oil-based primer be a better choice than a water-based one?

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 12:50PM
PRO

If it's a sound substrate, an acrylic primer (Gripper) is a comparable choice. There is no gotcha answer on this one. Any quality primer works, indoors or out.

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Looking for creamy light gold paint. Anyone?
Want to paint using a really light creamy color with...
jtaime2
Cast iron table on the patio rusting?
A small cast iron table has been outside for 15 years,...
yugoslava
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Paint to contrast molding
Hello, We just moved into a five year old townhouse...
JoAnn Babish
What colour to paint/stain stairs?
We have the golden oak stairs (see pic) and are wanting...
abbabug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™