Soil in contact with stucco

dwpcOctober 14, 2010

I thought this was the best forum to ask this question. We are re-landscaping the yard and want to have a raised planting bed along the house that would cover about 6" of the stucco, which is solid and tight to the slab. Is there any treatment needed for the affected stucco? A barrier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koert

This is an important concern. Stucco will suck up moisture from your planting bed and transfer it into your walls. I've used a paint-on moisture barrier with a gravel drain next to some of our walls but I'm not sure if that is enough.

We have a short "submerged" stucco wall in the rear yard that I would like to address. Would a painted barrier plus building wrap plus tin be adequate for the long term?

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 5:50PM
lazy_gardens

As a landscape designer, I shriek DON'T DO THAT!

You have to have a permanent waterproof barrier or the water you apply to the bed will soak up into the stucco and make it fall off. You risk rotting the framing under the stucco and maybe even the drywall on the other side.

Can you make a raised planter that leaves a few inches between the planter and the wall?

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 4:49PM
higgins

You really don't want to do that! You need to keep the ground / mulch 4-6 " below the stucco. Otherwise the stucco will wick up any moisture over time. If you chose to do it any way, be prepared to spend $$$ ($10K - $20K) to do a major repair down the road!

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 9:16PM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™