how to prep asbestos siding for painting?

elschOctober 18, 2010

Hi there everyone. I am wondering if it is enough to use a garden hose to rinse and prep asbestos siding for painting. I am thinking a pressure washer might disturb the asbestos too much. And how do I clean off an area that is greenish where a shrub used to be?

Or is there a low setting on a pressure washer, a friend is loaning me one for the wood parts of the house.

And what brand and type of primer should I use?

All of your knowledge and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucille

I think you should get, in writing, not from us, advice from someone who both knows what the law may say on this and who will be around when a third party may call you out on something you have done.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 7:09PM
jwheatie

There is a primer from xim that we used on 'asphalt tile' (floor), which is known to contain asbestos:

http://www.ximbonder.com/products_detail.asp?id=33

then we painted over with BM porch and floor paint.

I wouldn't pressure wash. We just gently washed with a mild detergent (we used simple green, although in retrospect I would have used the - rubbing alcohol, - h20 - vinegar solution) and put on the XIM primer. It's held up really well (not totally perfect) and we are glad the crazy potential chemical (asbestos!) is sealed in, under this layer of primer/paint.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 2:05AM
ahassel4u

I recently moved into an asbestos-sided "fixer" and there's no budget for residing anytime soon. I had green mildew in several spots which I removed with bleach/Mr Clean and a scrubber brush. I also have areas of flaking paint which I am in the process of addressing - I wait for a windy day, wear a respirator, remove loose paint with a scraper (gently), and then feather the paint edges with sponge sander. Slow going, but the prep work is what will make the paint job last.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 10:48PM
beth0301

I've used XIM Bonder for other things and it's great, but for this situation, what about Peel Bond? Would one be preferable? I'm just thinking if there is any delamination on the siding, the "glue" properties of these primers would resolve that. I just don't know which one would work better.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 1:19PM
ionized_gw

Congratulations, asbestos/cement siding is durable, holds paint exceptionally well and is fire-proof. It is hard to top!

Pressure washers are over-rated. Use a long-handled brush and detergent. Use bleach for stuff that is growing (green). Use TSP with both if you can get it in your area. Use the carbonate TSP substitute if you can't find real (phosphate) TSP.

I am not kidding about the advantages of that siding. It does have some disadvantages. It breaks easily, but you can get non-asbestos replacements and some people sell off the removed stuff to those who need it. There are ample resources on the web to tell you how to work with it most safely. You should keep it wet.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:30PM
More Discussions
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
Can regular paint go over Cabinet Coat?
I have an orange oak vanity cabinet I just pulled out...
mrsshayne
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™