Paint color in west facing room

linzy383October 8, 2012

Hi all,

What colors have you successfully used in a west facing room? We would like to use a color that is calm and relaxing, but I keep reading that a warmer "beige" is the answer. It's a yellow-beige right now, which I really don't like. I've attached a photo and would love some suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Warm beige - whatever that means, huh? :)

Looks like you're looking for a blue? If so, have a look at Ben Moore's Gentle Gray 1626 or Iced Slate 2130-60. Both have the right nuance to work with west geo exposures.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:39PM
emddutton

I just painted my west facing master bedroom in BM Woodlawn Blue and I love it so far. It's very mellow and versatile.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 12:36AM
emddutton

Oh and my west facing living room is BM Blond Wood which is definitely a warm beige. I actually like it though. It goes a bit carmelish is the late afternoon sun.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 12:48AM
Kristine123

I have a west facing living room that I am looking to repaint. I have an olive green couch. We just painted this room waterbury cream and it looks awful! It shows green undertones. I do have this color in another room and it looks great. Every warm color sample looks dirty in the morning and on fire in the afternoon. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:16PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Kristine, you need multiple pigments in the formula. Whenever you have a color like Waterbury Cream that contains a yellow colorant, like yellow oxide, and black which is used to tone it down, it create within the color a dimension of a green cast.

The aspect of green is always there because it's intrinsic to the paint color due to the mix of colorants. Whether the green cast shows in a room or not depends entirely on the quality of light. There has to be a similar aspect of green within the light source to "catch" the green cast in the paint color and reflect it back into the room so you can see it.

One of your rooms doesn't have that quality of green within the light, the other one does. It's that simple.

You have a quality of light that goes from one extreme to the other. We know that because you noticed that every warm color looks dirty in the morning and on fire in the afternoon.

So the answer is a paint color that can go from one extreme to the other too. One that is mixed full spectrum, like Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints or multi-pigmented like from C2 Paints.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 1:53PM
Kristine123

Funcolors - Thank you so much for enlightening me! I had no idea about these full spectrum paints. I went on Ellen Kennon's website and I will call her and get samples. I'm so excited! I can't wait to repaint these ugly walls. You were right about the light in the one room. There is only one bow window on the west facing side. So not much natural light there.

I did see there were a couple of companies that sell the spectrum paint, but I am going to go with Ellen's because she was one of the ones you recommended. I see you know alot about colors.

Again, thank you so much.

Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™