BM paint formulas

bmetcalfOctober 27, 2011

I chose Benjamin Moore Kangaroo for my walls. I bought the "big" paint chip prior to selecting the color. The contractor put some of the color that he bought on the wall and I couldn't believe the difference. I stopped him immediately. It just was not the same color at all that was on the thirty inch painted board or chip that I brought home.

I don't want to pay for a new color selection. I think that it was mixed incorrectly. The color is Ben Mo AF-145. What should the base be - 1 or 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

The base will be on the can.
If you think it is wrong just take it back, they will fix it.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 4:21AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

The contractor put some of the color that he bought on the wall and I couldn't believe the difference.

and at least let it dry before judging the color.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 12:16PM
FroofyCat

to be honest, I've had more mistakes with mixing colors from Benjamin Moore than anywhere else. If you are getting it at a smaller hardware store with a small paint section - I really think they are prone to making mistakes with the mix and it is wrong!

I drive far specifically for a larger paint store for BM paints because they deal with higher volume, staff is always the same and they know how to work the machine to mix colors. I do love BM paints, but I find the digital paint mixers at the big box stores are never wrong and the colors are always a dead on match every time!

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 3:06PM
taureg

I hate to tell you this but there is NO relationship between any printed paint chip and the actual color. And, to make matters worse, if you paint a sample and then decided to buy the paint in a different BM line, the color will change again, because the bases are different colors.

I did a million tests and thought I would go insane because of the differences between the chips and the actual color and then going for. BN line to line - Aura, for example, is totally different than standard BM paint.
. Despite learning this, I forgot about it when I ordered the paint for my just completed paint job. I was afraid to use the Janovic paint, whose color I liked and which is a BM paint, so I bought standard BM. HUGE mistake.

The Janovic has a pastel base and the BM a medium base. As a result, the color is much yellower - really ugly under halogen light- and I will need to reprint my entire 900 square foot loft again.

I really wish they would publicize both the hip issue and the base I pact.

The only chips that might be reliable are pained ones, made by very expensive full spectrum paint companies.

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™