Window Taping Tool?

justme4nowOctober 9, 2012

Is there a tool and if not, why not invent one that will allow you to 'roll' tape around the inside of a window frame, covering the glass that you don't want to get paint on?

I have a million windows in my home and I am about to paint the 'inside' window frames.

I don't want to tape each pane of glass by hand and "I HOPE" that there is a tool (kind of like a package tape dispenser or even similar to a miniature drywall taping tool ) that will not only make the job faster to do but also less tedious!?

I only need to run the tape, an inch around the inside of the frame, covering the glass.

Forgive my bad arrow drawings in the following picture, (HOW do you make straight lines with paint or irfanview? lol)

The arrows point to the frame area that I am referring to and the glass that I want to cover.

I hope that I have been fairly clear on my question?

I don't know any other way to ask it. 8(

Thanks Everyone

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Someone gave me a link to this tool from Scotch and I wonder if this might be what I am looking for?

They talk about woodwork but why wouldn't it work for what I need?

Scotch Blue

    Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 11:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, the blue painter's tape will work great. And if it gives you an easy way to cut it, that's great too.

I use scissors or an x-ato-knife, or just tear the tape.

    Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

It's going to cost you a fortune to tape a million windows.

    Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 8:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

I am with brush on this one. Get a QUALITY 1and 1/2 inch sash brush and carfully paint them.Get a good window razor scraper to remove any paint that gets on the glass

    Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 4:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Is there a rubber boot, or glazing strip surrounding the glass? If so, do not paint over that boot or glazing strip.

    Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you are painting them in place, you might find that you are able to control the brush better when working on the sides and bottom of the frame. So you might be able to get away with taping just the top of the sash.

As a DIYer without a million windows to paint, I use the tape.

I use a one inch Purdy angled brush.

    Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:49AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help me pick Exterior Paint for my 1885 beauty
Hi, I would really love to get some advice about what...
Sherwin Williams vs. Ben. Moore vs. Behr
Hello. I currently have Behr and SW paint in our home....
Bridget Helm
Paint for basement stairs
I'm planning to repaint my basement stairs. Is SW Porch...
Island paint color with blue pearl counter?
Hello - I am in the process of updating our kitchen....
Can I use exterior latex paint in the broom closet?
I want to paint a small broom closet with paint I have...
Sponsored Products
Bali SkyTrack 3/8-inch Double Cell Northern Lights Skylights
Paley Leather Chair - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Serena & Lily French Tassel Window Panel
Serena & Lily
Red Madeline Curtain Panel
$12.99 | zulily
Waverly Imperial Dress Curtain Panel - 10985042X084AN
$24.97 | Hayneedle
Faux Suede Grommet 84-inch Insulated Blackout Curtain Pair
Each 96"L "Simone" Curtain
$60.90 | Horchow
18-piece Commercial-quality Aluminum Telescoping Duster Kit
$149.95 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™