mixing paint for a more 'complex' color

lakehouse_2010October 26, 2010

I'm choosing a lot of whites and light colors for my walls. I'm using P&L accolade. I was wondering if it makes any sense to mix a couple of colors together for a more "complex" color ala Donald Kaufman. So instead of having 3 colors in a mix, I'd have up to 6.

Also, does it make sense to mix a the white (or the new "mix" ) I'm using in most of the rooms with a little of the light blue I'm using in a couple of rooms for a ceiling color that ties things together?

I really don't know a thing about paint so I appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Designer Mario Buatta, a.k.a. The Prince of Chintz, has spoken of mixing Benjamin Moore's White and Linen White. 50/50 for his idea of a *perfect* white. Keep in mind you can mix in small quantities to experiment. Don't have to dump two quarts into a bucket just to see what the 50/50 mix will look like.

As far as going from 3 colorants to 6 colorants in the combined mix, there's whole lotta color mixin' conversation to be had about that one. Technically, yeah, you are combining into one mixture the total amount of colorants from each paint color.

After that point, however, is where it gets more complicated.

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sayde

I'm not sure if you can extrapolate from fine art painting to house painting, but students studying art are told to try to mix the exact color they need from the fewest number of different paints -- and no more than three different ones (plus white). The more you add, the likelier you are to get "mud." Nuanced colors are nice but they can quickly slip downhill into mud if fussed with too much. You can neutralize red with green to get a cooler color that is still warm and if you keep going you get a nice brown grey. But if you add other colors especially from other parts of the color wheel, you will get mud unless you really know what you're doing.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Benjamin Moore Sample Availability
Hi all! It's been a while since I've frequented the...
jeanninepc99
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™