When do you buy your frozen turkey?

caminncNovember 13, 2012

I have always bought my turkey on Saturday or Sunday before Thanksgiving but sometimes it still has little ice crystals in it. I guess my question is how soon can I buy my turkey, keep it in the fridge before cooking it? I don't want it to go bad in the fridge but I would like it nice and thawed out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caminnc

Forgot to say about an 18 lb. turkey.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:58AM
bulldinkie

Today because I had a free turkey coupon, but I wanted butterball so I got 80 cents off per pound,Im happy.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 3:17PM
caminnc

So are you putting in the fridge or freezer? Thanks!

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:50PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I was wondering the same thing earlier. The Butterball site says 4-5 days for that size, so one more day sounds perfect, certainly not long enough for it go to bad, and daggone it, it better be completely thawed this time! I'm getting ours Friday. I'll know from just looking at that chart that 21 pounds is about the limit for buying that day.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:56PM
publickman

You can order a fresh one and then you will not have to wait for it to thaw. If you are planning to do the "dry salt" method of roasting, you will need to pick it up on Monday, November 19 to start the salting process. Personally, I am not cooking a whole turkey this year. If you wanted to dry salt a frozen turkey, you would need to start thawing it on Sunday at the latest.

Lars

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 6:36PM
donnar57

To answer the original question, when do I buy my frozen turkey: Whenever it's on a good sale. As long as it's frozen, I can throw it in my freezer and keep for awhile. We usually buy two or three at Thanksgiving time so that we will have a turkey for Christmas and Easter, and (if we are hosting), Thanksgiving as well.

Donn

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:33PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I like that idea.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:38PM
Cynic

You can also speed the thawing by the cold water method. An 18# turkey would take about 9 hours by their chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey Thawing Hints from the National Turkey Federation

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 11:29PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I like to purchase turkey early so that I can get the small 8-10 pound ones. Usually buy two. I like the small ones, because they are younger and just more flavorful and tender to me.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 10:51AM
Cynic

BTW, a "fresh" turkey needs to be thawed unless you want to cook from a frozen state. All "fresh" means is that it's kept no colder than 26ðF. A 26ð bird still needs some thawing under most recipes, although some do cook birds from the frozen state.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Once it was so easy..............................
To find whatever one wanted quickly. Now everything...
Robert Givens
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™