Painting Textured Ceiling

BarbnvabeachOctober 21, 2011

Hi everyone,

I need some advise please. I have high (15 ft) ceilings that have that horrible texture that is sprayed over wallboard. I cannot remove it so I want to paint it(?) I am painting the walls and thought I would do the ceilings a different color. Question is, how do I do this? Is there a trick to it? I have heard many stories about painting this type of ceiling, horror stories. Help or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Do you mean "popcorn" finish? If so, why can't you remove it?

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 4:56AM
Barbnvabeach

Yes, I believe they do call it popcorn. To much of a job and mess for me to handle and I really cannot afford to have someone do it for me. I will be doing all of the painting so I was hoping I could just paint it and forget it.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 2:03PM
celticmoon

It is not that easy to paint because the little popcorn bits will just fall off on contact with a roller. You'd probably have to spray paint.

And if you do paint it, it will be extremely hard to EVER get the popcorn off. Do think this through. As is, you just wet the popcorn and scrape it off. But once it is painted....

Get some estimates. I waited 10 years to get rid of my nasty popcorn ceilings and in retrospect that was about 9.9 years too long! Changed the room dramatically and worth every penny.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 9:58PM
lazy_gardens

The problem is that it will absorb the paint, then fall off in chunks. Then it looks really ugly!

Leave it until you can afford to remove it, or have the time to DIY. It's not difficult, but it's backbreaking. And 15 feet up, you want a pro with scaffolding.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 8:17PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

As mentioned, it is easier to remove it than to try and paint it and after it is painted it is next to impossible to remove.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 5:19AM
Barbnvabeach

Thanks everyone. I believe the best thing for me to do is just leave it alone for now! I will learn to ignore it ?:)

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 6:42AM
More Discussions
paint matching from sw to valspar
has anyone had a can of paint matched in another paint...
adoiron
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
Any opinions on behr premium plus ultra paint?
I am considering using behr premium plus ultra paint...
texasjg
how to get smooooth walls
The room Im painting has some areas original 1906 calcimine...
kashka_kat
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™