Paint my garage door in accent color?

lilylchenOctober 2, 2012

I have a small craftsman with a detached single car garage. The garage door is actually lovely and made of wood with a good amount of character. The layout is unique in that the garage door is more forward than the house, but again, it's detached off to the right side. I think the width of the house is about 20 ft, while the width of the garage is say 10 ft.

I was thinking of a Robin's Egg blue-green body, white trim, black or charcoal gray for the window sash, and either orange or red for the front door. Do you think I should also accent the garage door or just paint it in the white trim (which is currently the color scheme it follows)? If I do accent it, should I then go with a red which might be less dramatic than an orange? If I went with a bright orange (think, goldfish in a bowl), then should I definitely go with white for the garage door? Or should I choose a more rusty orange, and then it might be OK to paint the garage door too? (The neighborhood is suburban, but not so suburban that it cant tolerate some out of the box colors.)

I could only figure out how to post one picture, so the rest are in my picasaweb account. The garage door pic is a new one with lots more sun than the other exterior pics. Sorry, I dont have one picture with both house and garage in it. Note that in the pic of the garage door, the windows have pieces of white paper taped up on them (my tenants did this) so that's why it looks like its solid on the top piece with a dark border painted, but its not (though I like the look!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Just helping others see the pics...

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:38AM
graywings123

IMO, I would leave it as it is. The problem with fancy-ing up the garage door is that you will draw people's eyes to it. You want people to focus on the house, not the garage.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:47AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I would paint the garage door body the same as the body of the house and continue with the trim color just around the flat trim so it matches the rest of the house.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 10:28AM
lilylchen

Thanks for the input folks, and the point about not detracting from the house. (I'm actually wondering how much more my painter would charge to "experiment"?)

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 7:53PM
lilylchen

FYI, here's a picture of the whole front view with both the house and garage.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:59PM
lilylchen

Thought I would follow up with a picture of what I finally went with. The paint is all Kelly Moore matching:
Body - Martha Stewart Enamelware (light blue/green)
Trim - Ben Moore Wedding Veil (white)
Front Door - BM Poppy (red)
Sashes and Garage Door - BM Overcoat (dark gray)

If I did this over, I think I would have gone with a more grayer blue. Oh well, next time.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:51AM
lilylchen

Close up of the house only

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 12:53AM
lilylchen

Close up of the house only

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:59AM
graywings123

It looks lovely!

I know how you feel about wishing you had gone darker. Selecting outside colors is much different than choosing indoor colors. It's hard to see a paint chip that seems so dark and understand that it will look a lot lighter when painted outside.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™