Apples and more apples

triciaeNovember 1, 2011

With the help of DH's creative writing class we got most of the apples put up before our trip to Baltimore but still had a few left. Yesterday, we made these six little tarts. Look at how tiny the apples are! It took 14 to make the tarts. They are so good - crisp & sweet, just itty-bitty. Still have enough left for a couple batches of oatmeal/apple muffins.

We can't eat a whole pie before it goes bad. I love these new pans. Perfect size for us to split. So far, we've made these apple pies plus pumpkin, blackberry, raspberry, and tomorrow we're going to put up half a dozen chicken pies.

/tricia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
centralcacyclist

Those are cute! I love cooking with apples, hate like the devil to peel them. How did you peel those tiny apples? The farmer's market was full of new crop apples the other day.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 12:26PM
grainlady_ks

tricia - Those are lovely little tarts... I'm another fan of tart pans, especially my fluted set with removable bottoms. I also have glass pie dishes that are 5-1/2" and 7-1/2". I get 4 small servings out of a 5-1/2" dish, which usually contains a 1/2-cup of fruit (which is a serving size) per slice. The 7-1/2" dishes are perfect for making half of any of the varieties of "Impossible Pie" recipes, and I'll use the 5-1/2" dishes for 1/4 of a recipe.

barnmom- Hint: If you have one of those gadgets you push through the apple that cores and slices it, I find it's quick and easier to peel each slice instead of the whole apple - especially when working with small apples, such as Jonathan. It's also easy to cut each slice into 2-3 slices if I want them thinner.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:15PM
centralcacyclist

I did have one of those gadgets! I did a kitchen purge and I am pretty sure it was a casualty of that event. I'll look...

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:18PM
centralcacyclist

I looked, it's still here. I must have purchased it at Pampered Chef party. I am sure I never used it but I think Alice probably has. I'll give it a try.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:29PM
publickman

I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer from BB&B that I love and used it last week for an apple pie. It peels, cores, and slices an apple in less than a minute.

I don't have small pie pans, and so I also end up with more pie than DB and I can eat before it goes bad. A friend at work said that apple pie freezes well, and so I am going to try that with the next pie. Our tree is really loaded at the moment, but we'll juice most of the apples, just because it is faster, and we freeze the juice. Neither of us like apple jam or apple sauce, and even the juice is a bit too sweet for our tasts. I should probably mix it with tart juices, like cranberry. I would never have planted an apple tree, but it is nice to have. I have orchids, bromeliads, and hummingbird feeders hanging from it.

Lars

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:49PM
ann_t

Beautiful little apple tarts.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:53PM
centralcacyclist

Lars, Alice loved the bag of apples you shared with her. We munched on one each on our drive back to SLO. They are delicious apples.

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 2:21PM
sands99

Those tarts are *adorable*! Surprising how quickly a pile of apples become just a few servings. My new favorite apples are Honey Crisps - a little less tart than a Granny Smith a nice thin snap-to-the-bite skin and firm flesh. I love 'em!

Hey didn't someone compile a CF apple cookbook a year or two back? I had it and then my pc crashed and I hadn't transferred it to the main (backed-up) drive in the basement. Butthead...

Love to have it again especially this time of year, anyone have it by chance?

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 4:38PM
wizardnm

Cookalong #16 was Apples. There are some good recipes there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #16 in the FAQ

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 6:22PM
dgkritch

I have 2 mini pie pans (hand thrown ceramic) that are perfect for two!
I've also used the large muffin tins.

And, yes, apple pie freezes beautifully!
Surprisingly, so does cheesecake. :)

Deanna

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 7:25PM
carol_in_california

Do you freeze the apple pie before or after baking?

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™