Exterior primer

bus_driverOctober 8, 2012

Not wanting to hijack other threads about primers. I have done lots of painting, but it was mostly in the days of oil-based primers. I recall reading that the latex interior-exterior stain blocking primers are too ridgid/stiff and do not hold up well on wood as they do not stretch as the wood moves. Recommended for just the stains/knots. My limited experience seems to bear this out. But others are enthusiastic about the 1-2-3. I have used it for interior.

I have some exterior wood about 7 years old which has been painted twice and badly needs it again. I need a better primer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

If it is already painted and the paint is still adhered, you do not need a primer, unless you are going from oil to latex

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 3:50AM
bus_driver

The "if" does not apply in my case, as my post shows. The paint is chipping off, not peeling in strips.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:36AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Where the paint is chipped, it is recommended to feather sand the bridge to prevent future chipping. Painting over a chipped area w/o sanding creates runs and a super thin paint film which will fail soon.

I've been using Smart Prime by Zinsser at my office buildings and it's become my favorite interior/exterior cover all primer.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 7:18PM
bus_driver

"I've been using Smart Prime by Zinsser---". Based on this endorsement, I stopped at the nearest Home Depot to get a gallon. Not on their shelves. The one employee in that department had three customers ahead of me waiting for help and I had other things to do. I have not had time to look elsewhere. If the Sherwin-Williams stores have it, their prices will be much higher than most other sources.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 2:18PM
bus_driver

Went today to a Sherwin Williams store. The only primers I saw were their own brand, nothing from Kilz or Zinsser. Their own interior/exterior latex primer had a posted shelf price of $46.49 per gallon.
Went to the largest Lowes store in the area. No "Smart Prime" to be found. But they do have 1.2.3 Plus which I had not seen before. Have not purchased any primer yet.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
Front door color for my gray house!
Hey everyone, I need help choosing a front door color....
suzii
Is the burgundy / red accent wall dated?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
Advice on what to expect with exterior house painting job
I plan on getting estimates from 3 painters to paint...
spunkybelle
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™