Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE) in dogs

kim_oklaJanuary 20, 2013

I want everyone to know about this disease. My sister has dealt with this 5 times with her mini doxies and two other dogs. It happens quickly, is brutal and vets don't know what causes it.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mazer415

Not much to know. Hits dogs suddenly, mostly smaller breeds but has impacted larger breeds as well. Vets are uncertain as to its cause.
Whenever I hear about sudden onset of diseases like these I automatically think about diet and the by-products used in so many dog foods. Food whch is loaded with grains and corn which contain pesticides, insecticides,herbicides, Meat by roducts from animals which have been ill treated. Small Breeds are more suseptible to toxics becuase they are closer to the ground, where cleaning products and chemicals put on plants and lawns are more easily inhaled or ingested. I hope they find a cause and cure soon.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 12:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr

We see a lot of HGE during the holiday season, and the article above is pretty good at explaining it, how it is diagnosed and treated. I don't have much to add to it, other than very severe cases sometimes do not survive, but well over 95% do well with hospitalization, fluids, antibiotics, antiemtics and close monitoring.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Dog still has fleas after using Frontline Plus..
Two weeks ago, I gave my dog a bath and then applied...
dianamo_1
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™