painted drywall without primer - how do I fix this?

metaforicalOctober 24, 2012

I scraped the popcorn texture off of a ceiling successfully, then went to the paint store and told the man I wanted "the stuff you paint on the ceiling after you've scraped off the popcorn texture'. He gave me something he called 'ceiling paint'.

Oops, I should have googled the process first because, of course, 'ceiling paint' is not primer. The stuff came off in weird spotty places as I was painting, left little divots here and there and looked pretty ratty. I figured I could sand and repaint the bad parts later. I waited a couple of days, then masked off the edges so I could paint the walls. I used the nice painters tape that really did an excellent job protecting the trim, but when I pulled it off the ceiling it brought all of the new paint with it and left really nasty looking 'holes' all along the edges. I sanded it a bit and now I don't know what to do. Should I try to put primer on top of all of this? Or should I just put another coat of that 'ceiling paint'?

The walls look fantastic and I don't want to mess them up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andrelaplume2

...almost sounds like there was a residue or something on the ceiling. I learned a similar lesson real quick after removing wallpaper once. Paint was not sticking as I was rolling! I stopped immediately and properly cleaned the walls several times and the paint went on fine after that.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 4:39PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Depending on the "ceiling "paint, you probably could get by with another coat or 2

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 5:57PM
lazy_gardens

What happened is the "popcorn" stuff was not 100% removed.

The water in the latex paint softened it and then it was easy for the tape removing to pull it off the ceiling.

Even drywall primer can't prevent that. Patch the divots, sand the rough spots and apply another coat of paint.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:04PM
metaforical

The popcorn LOOKED removed. I'm not sure how to tell if I've gotten it all. There didn't seem to be a residue, but I believe you both that there must have been something there. I have three more ceilings with the stuff on them. How do I get it off next time? I steamed, scraped and sanded this time. Is there a product that will guarantee removal? Thanks.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:25PM
paintguy22

You should prime. Zinnser 123 would be good.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:52PM
lazy_gardens

Prime with something that is NOT water-based.

That seals in any traces of the popcorn and means the paint will stick to the ceiling.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:11PM
bus_driver

While it might not have been visible, the ceiling had lots of dust on it. That might be part of the problem.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:48PM
jane__ny

I recently removed popcorn ceilings from my entire house (all rooms including closets, bathrooms, hallways.) The painter we hired, had his men scrape off the popcorn then smeared some sort of texture on the ceiling. After that they put on one coat of paint.

So now, the ceilings have a swirly texture (which is common in Florida). They also sprayed something on the walls which produced an orange-peel effect and then painted.

I know they didn't prime the ceilings. They used this stucco-type stuff and painted.

It looks good.

Jane

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:01PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

Prime with something that is NOT water-based.
That seals in any traces of the popcorn and means the paint will stick to the ceiling.
Except for Gardz. This is what I would have primed with.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardz

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 6:48AM
More Discussions
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Valspar Paints formula change-not good
I'm a prior user/recommender of Valspar paints (e.g....
tbriggs
Living room and game room paint colors!! Help please!!
Hello everyone, I just bought my house and I need help...
fabbyar79
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™