sunflower seeds

sandiencDecember 15, 2012

I buy 50# bags of sunflower seeds to feed all the wild birds. Does anyone know if they would be safe for my pet african grey parrot? Or should I buy seeds that say they are for pet birds?
Thanks Sandie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

I don't know but at the bird store I go to the wild bird seed and the pet birds eg parrots are in different parts of the store. Did not see any suneflower seeds there.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 4:36PM
sandienc

Just got back from the pet store. The only sunflower seeds they have are in the wild bird section. And the combination seeds in the pet bird secion with sunflowers are mostly just filler seed that my greys just throw on the floor. What a waste of money. I usually sweep them up and put them outside for the wild birds. The same thing happened with the wild bird mix I used to buy. So many filler seeds like milo that the birds here won't touch. So I now go to the feed store and buy a 50# bag of millet and a 50# bag of black oil sunflower seeds for them. I tryed looking at the seeds in the markets and they are all salted and most are roasted also.
Thanks beegood

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:30PM
emma

I wouldn't try it. You can't feed tropical birds bread but you can wild birds. There is a difference in their digestive system I guess.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Raw Meat Diet for Cats
I have been converted. Do any of you cat lovers out...
maureen1953
Advice needed regarding choosing a dog breed
We presently have a Beagle, who is very good with people...
ivamae
Are you Bear Aware?
BE BEAR AWARE & WILDLIFE STEWARDSHIP MONTH was...
kovert
Is it harmful for a big dog to be crated 9 hrs on a hard surface?
I understand that my kids have to work, and they do...
dustien
putting to sleep a cat that pees outside its box
There are no coincindents. thank you for your input...
missuchloey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™