Funcolors thoughts on another color

Eden-ManorOctober 1, 2013

Just wondering what your thoughts are on a color like BM Chelsea Gray in a north facing office? I think the Galapagos Turquoise isn't going to work out. The other option is BM Hale Navy or BM Old Navy.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

Depends. Chelsea in a north facing office would be wonderfully moody. But if moody isn't the mood you're looking to achieve then it's not a good move.

North light in our hemisphere is never direct into fenestration rather it sort of tumbles and stumbles in. As a result, various things can happen to the light beams along the way. Most common is the blue portion of the spectrum makes it way into the space more so than the other parts. Which is why many refer to north light as blue or cool.

While that may or may not be true in every case, it's pretty safe to say that beams of north light are overall well balanced with a tendency toward cool blue-ish-ness. And it is dim on a scale from dim to bright -- because it's not direct.

Dim qualities of light do well with saturated, midtone or darker color.

Chelsea or Hale Navy would play nicely into, and capitalize on the natural characteristics of north light. I'd say choose your mood. For example, moodily sophisticated Chelsea, or a classically understated and dignified navy.

Both equally appropriate for the function of an office.

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 2:09PM
Eden-Manor

You are so thoughtful to give such a detailed explanation. I am very grateful for your insight!

THANK YOU! :)

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 9:33PM
PRO
Lori A. Sawaya

No problem. Good luck with everything.

Bookmark   October 3, 2013 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Drywall in Garage
Our garage is unpainted and we'd like to spruce it...
bahacca
Spraying SW Primer and wb Paint with Airless - tip size?
I've read hundreds of posts and found 3 that address...
cebury
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™