Remove paint/stain from composite decking

tiptoptommytOctober 5, 2013

Folks - I posted this problem on the Porches and Deck forum but maybe it's just as appropriate for this forum (although I don't see it on that forum...maybe it takes a day or so to post?)

I have a composite deck and was painting around the house. Somehow I managed to get paint/stain splatter on the deck like an idiot. I tried using one of those nylon scrubbers which worked some...but left the surface noticeably lighter. I also tried mineral spirits which did not impact anything.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Try some rubbing alcohol. Paint thinner won't do much unless the paint you are trying to remove is oil based.

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 9:06AM
graywings123

I had an issue with a Fiberon deck. I placed a pad under the grill and when I moved it months later, it left a distinct mark. Scrubbing didn't remove it, but over time, it went away.

I don't have any suggestions on how to remove the paint, but possibly the color change in the deck surface will go away. Is it possible the lighter color is the original color of the deck?

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 9:43AM
PinesEverywhere

Try nail polish remover (100% Acetone).

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 1:31PM
craig1721

try these steps for either vinyl / PVC siding or decking (as I did)
*latex paint -
when paint is wet: start with 100% rubbing alcohol and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag and wipe surface

when paint is dry: use 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50, with same type rag vigorously wipe

then - since paint will have been spread around (looking like a stain) - use Goo Gone and finish the rest until clean, is now nearly spotless

*oil-based paint -
for wet or dry oil-based paint, start with 100% acetone (e.g., nail polish remover) and dilute with tap water at max 50/50 on a white cotton rag, vigorously wipe surface

if stain from paint is still apparent, use Goo Gone (what I had) and finish the rest until clean nearly spotless

I tried a lot of different solutions, literally, except for those that research had informed would be ineffective for what I was doing or would damage the surface (powerwashing, abrasive scrubbing with fine steel / plastic type scrubbers)

This post was edited by craig1721 on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 15:58

Bookmark   October 18, 2014 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
BM Satin Impervo Waterborne discontinued. Replacement?
I went to purchase this today and discovered it had...
jellytoast
Just painted kitchen cabinets, now the paint is easily peeling.
My kitchen cabinets had a natural, grainy wood finish....
iris_bulb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™