Painting Fiberglass Doors

tuesday_2008October 25, 2010

I have 3 smooth fiberglass doors to paint and need all the pointers I can get. I have heard that they are difficult to get a nice finish. They are factory primed; it has been suggested that I reprime to get a good finish. Is Binzer 123 appropriate for this?

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations to get as nice a finish as possible. Is it better to roll or brush? Or a combination of both? My husband thinks I should get an auto-body shop to spray, but I don't want to do that. I plan to paint the enteriors to match my interior trim and the exterior a color to match exterior.

I know that I will not be able to maintain that extra-smooth factory finish and I fully expect some brush marks -

just looking for pointers on doing the best job. I plan to use semi-gloss inside and stain outside. Thoughts on that??

Tuesday

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paintguy22

Yes, Zinnser 123 is a fine primer for this. Whether you like roller stipple or brushmarks showing is a matter of personal preference. I use a roller no matter what because it just gets the paint on quicker...once it is on the door you can backbrush if you like. I roll them and leave them...I use self levelling paints so that the stipple is barely noticeable.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tuesday_2008

ONe more quick question - as you know, the fiberglass finish is extremely smooth. Should I try to do any light sanding before applying the primer. They are so smooth, it does not appear that sanding is going to "rough" them up any. ????

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Need help picking out a color for North facing room please!
Hi, I am looking for advice on what color to choose...
rebeccayliu
Complementary colors for Putnam Ivory?
Hi, my new basement is painted BM Putnam Ivory (IRL...
mom2sulu
Looking for the right gray paint
I just bought silvery gray/plum bedding that is to...
hammy5
Bathroom paint advice (lots of wood/almond/gold)
I need advice for my only full bathroom. Currently...
rara_avis21
Latex Paint Care Fee
I live in Minnesota - the Land of 10,000 Taxes. Our...
geoffrey_b
Sponsored Products
Ren-Wil OL556 Walk in the Rain
Beyond Stores
Hinkley Luna Down 9" Wide Satin Black Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Champagne Lever Set - Privacy and Passage
Signature Hardware
SM Series White 24-Inch One-Light Energy Star Flush Fluorescent
$52.80 | Bellacor
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II Gentleman's Chest in Cafe Noir -...
Great Furniture Deal
Color Square Side Table
$339.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™