Can I paint my door knobs?

maryelizabeth78October 12, 2008

We currently have shiny brass knobs in our house which we bought 2 years ago. We are slowly changing out all the brass lighting fixtures and ridding the house of all brass and switching over to ORB. Eventually, I'd like to buy all new door hardware for the inside of the house but it's not in the budget right now.

My question is: Can I spray paint my knobs? If so, is there a product that is better for this job than others? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff8407

Yes, you can paint them. In the long-run I'd certainly replace them, but for the short term painting might work.

You need to clean them with a solvent, give them a light sanding with 400 grit or finer, then spray with a primer, then top coat using the color of your choice. Personally, I'd go with a hammertone finish--It seems to hold up better. I use Rustoleum hammertone because I can get it locally. The only drawback might be if the paint begins to wear off on your hands. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 4:00PM
paintguy22

Yeah, but you need to be realistic. Don't expect the finish to actually hold up when it's an item that people grab and twist several times a day.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 4:55PM
cloudcrasher

Painting them would be OK. Sandpaper is hard to achieve total coverage. I would use a Scotch Brite pad, very easy to use. Clean with thinner or similar product. I would not use laquer paint...it dries fast but is very brittle and chips easily. A good primer and then the color of your choice. Should last along time

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 12:49AM
monaw

I primed and painted one door knob going to the garage and it came off .
Good luck!

Bookmark   October 20, 2008 at 1:30PM
mary_md7

You can try primer, two coats of color, and one coat of clear.

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
Paint colors
Our 1905 colonial home has original cherry and oak...
CocoaBean1
paint color help, Please!
Eastern Washington State, 1964 single story, 1500 sq....
H
Paint pink ground
what is the equivalent of pink ground by Farrow and...
appuri
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™