Before or after?

patmc102October 17, 2010

I have a vacation home that I am going to have a painter paint. I am also going to replace the carpet in the three bedrooms. Should I replace the carpet before I paint or after?

I will not be there when the work is being done and I am replacing the carpet with Amtico vinyl flooring so the carpenter will be moving the furniture and pulling the carpet up. I started thinking about marked walls with the movement of beds etc. I know it sounds silly but I really don't know what to do first. Please opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB

I always paint first. No worries about dripping on a new floor.

However, I wonder about the baseboard in such a case. Will more of the baseboard be exposed with vinyl? Will the floor installers be undercutting the baseboard to insert the vinyl?

Make sure to tell the painter to paint the baseboards very low, pushing back the carpet as much as possible.

moving furniture is always going to be last and always runs the risk of scuffing paint.

You may have to touch up when everything is finally done. Make sure the painters leave the leftover paint.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
Thought I was spending good money...NOT!
When remodeling one section of our house, I re painted...
bossyvossy
First Time Homeowner - Interior Paint Decision ProMar/SuperPaint/Aura?
Here we go... I just purchased a 1950s midcentury modern...
jstem20
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
Choosing Paint Color with Lighting Issues
I'm anxious to start painting my kitchen cabinet doors...
funkycamper
cabinet coat
After much indecision, I am ready to paint my bathroom...
lam702
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™