How to keep rabbits off new sod

lovemy4goldensNovember 9, 2006

I love in Corona California on 20 aces where there is wildlife. Our problem I just noticed this morning is that there are rabbits coming into our front yard where we just layed sod down and are pulling it up in clumps and peeing on the lawn and leaving their pellets behind. How do I keep this rabbits off my sod??

I would appreciate any advice A.S.A.P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
more_to_grow

If you have sod it is likely you have irrigation, this will quickly dilute the small amount of urine they produce, the pellets are organic fertilizer and the nibbling is nothing more than small scale lawn mowing; something I am sure you will engage in.

I personally would feel fortunate that you live in an area with wildlife and focus my attention on issues of real significance. Don't forget, you moved into the rabbits home, not the other way around.

Just my $0.02.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 12:31PM
lovemy4goldens

Thank you for your reply but I didn't appreciate you thinking that what I posted wasn't important or a concern for me. Maybe you should of just skipped it and went on to issues of real significance. Moving into the rabbits home area is not news to me.
Just my $0.02.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 12:48PM
more_to_grow

This is a *debate* forum. Clearly it is a concern for you, but much like the folks who move in next to a pig farm and then commence to complaining about the smell I feel little concern. I will be kind enough to offer two suggestions: a wire fence or shoot the rabbits and make hasenpfeffer.
Again just my $0.02.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 2:45PM
lovemy4goldens

Hmmmmmm, hasenpfeffer sounds like a plan but I don't have the recipe. I'm sure you do, so could you share it.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 4:31PM
catladysgarden

There are a lot of rabbit repellents on the market. Things such as Liquid Fence do work, but you have to keep renewing them.
Rabbits don't generally do any harm to turf grass. Flower gardens are where they do their damage. The rabbit pellets are an excellent fertilizer. I wish I had a source of large quantities of it that didn't have timothy hay in it. I don't think that rabbit urine will harm your grass either. I have large areas of blue grass and lots of rabbits. I don't find dead spots in the lawn.

Aside from repellents, I know of no other solution other than fencing them out or shooting them.

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 6:31PM
catladysgarden

Maybe this will be of help. I used this company's products with some success to keep rabbits out of the flower beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rabbit control

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 7:02PM
Lefty1943_yahoo_com

I live in Reno where Sagebrush is the predominant natural flora. We have a small putting green sized lawn and rabbits are, indeed, a problem. We have cottontails and Jacks but mostly cottontails this year. Everyone in the neighborhood is aware of it. They sit on the lawn, eating the grass, and their urine kills it so they spread into the un-killed grass. This year is particularly bad because the local coyotes have been reduced because of a bounty program. Catlady's post has valuable info.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
tricky rat cannot trap help!!
So to say i have a SMART RAT in my midst is the understatment...
Bamamamma88
Is it harmful for a big dog to be crated 9 hrs on a hard surface?
I understand that my kids have to work, and they do...
dustien
what if you were dating someone allergic to cats?
HI there. I have been dating a guy who is allergic...
vacuumfreak
Cesar Millan
Some people love this guy. Some people think he's a...
plantphreak_ca
Why are some animals okay to eat and others are taboo?
I'm not really trying to cause the fur to fly, so to...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™