Outdoor Shed Primer

caseykeesOctober 4, 2012

I am having a outdoor shed installed on Monday. I would like to pick up some primer. The shed is from Home Depot/Sheds USA with Smart Siding, which says it is pre-primed, engineered wood siding.

3 Questions!

1. Since it is "pre-primed", do I need to apply primer?

2. If so, do I need to lightly sand it first?

3. What primer would be the best to use?

Thanks!

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

1)yes
2) yes
3)Bullseye 123

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:25AM
caseykees

Thank you Christopher! One other question though. I live in western NY. It is getting rather chilly here. I am really hoping that I can get a coat of primer on it on Monday right after they install. It is so far expected to be around 57-58 degrees the last I checked. Is that going to be too cold? I know I can't wait much longer as time is surely running out for me weather wise. But I would at least like to get a coat of primer on it before winter.
Kathy

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:21AM
graywings123

Christopher is going to choke on his coffee when he reads this, but if it were my shed, I would get a gallon of Behr Premium Plus Ultra exterior paint from Home Depot, skip re-priming, and get at least one layer of topcoat on that shed.

FYI: I'm just a DIYer.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:11AM
caseykees

LOL!! I see your point! Then reprime and paint in the spring?? I really wanted to paint this the right way, but the installation appointment took forever. We purchased the shed at the end of august. I just don't know what the weather is going to give me in October.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:34AM
graywings123

No, don't reprime in the spring. Just a second coat of paint.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:38AM
caseykees

Also, I really don't want to use Behr paint. I just don't like it. Can I use BM ben Premium Exterior or even Aura Exterior which states it is self priming in most cases?

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:56AM
graywings123

Well, now you sound like Christophern! He hates Behr. Yes, you can use BenMoore paint.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 1:37PM
paintguy22

It really won't be the end of the world if you are not able to re-prime, especially if you are going to use Aura. 57-58 degrees is really perfect painting weather because the paint will not dry fast like it does when it is warmer. Just be sure that you finish the painting early enough in the day if the temps are going to be dropping to freezing at night.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:33PM
PRO
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting

As paint guy said, perfect painting weather and if using Aura, you are good to go, although, if it was me, I would still prime it first.You can paint till it gets to 50 and as stated, start around 10 AM to give it time to dry properly

fortunatly, I had no coffee in my mouth!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:17AM
caseykees

Ok, thanks everyone! doesn't look like I have to worry about freezing temps just yet. just 50's, rain and humidity. I found out yesterday they are not coming until between 12-4 on Monday, so I won't be able to paint on MOnday most likely. It is dark here now by 7:00. I guess it just depends on how long it takes them. But hopefully I can at least get my caulking done, then hope the weekend looks decent as i work during the day. It is a small shed only 8x8, I don't think it will take very long for me to paint it.

Regarding the Behr paint, I painted my interior rooms with it. I am not a good painter, but I have since found that if I use better paint, it looks better even with my inadequicies as a painter! LOL
Kathy

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
How to move forward and paint after large scale patching and sanding
We have plaster walls and ceilings. I removed the...
lannegreenelag
why does the cut in on walls look darker than the rolled walls?
Im a designer and the painter I use tells me this happens...
Michael Taylor Interiors
Help me find this wall paper please
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and excited to be here....
sasseeash
What color wall paint to go with Blooming Prairie Quilt?
Here is photo of daybed with the set I just purchased....
hyperchickmom
colors to use with carrington beige for hall and bedrooms
I live in a 900 sq frt condo. Natural light streams...
munin123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™